Combined 190/55 with 1" raising links

NightRider

Registered
Does anyone here run the combination of a 190/55 rear with 1" raising links?

I searched all I can and found plenty of info about running one or the other, but nothing about having the two combined.

I'm about to make the above changes but my concern is taking the bike to a point that it seems somewhat unstable.

Can anyone elaborate on the setup or give any first hand knowledge from experience?

Does anyone here run the combination of a 190/55 rear with 1" raising links?

I searched all I can and found plenty of info about running one or the other, but nothing about having the two combined.

I'm about to make the above changes but my concern is taking the bike to a point that it seems somewhat unstable.

Can anyone elaborate on the setup or give any first hand knowledge from experience?
It works great, but it also needs a good steering dampner!
It has much quicker steering!

No problems running both...you should have the suspension adjusted too.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm running the 1" bones and a 190/55 tire and I love the quicker steering.

My suspension on this bike is fairly neglected. I have cranked up the pre-load in the front but I haven't really messed with the rear shock at all or the dampening. I have had nothing bad to say about it. I haven't taken this bike on the track but I used to push this bike a little on back roads and never noticed any type of instability so I don't think an aftermarket dampener is needed.

I can't imagine not running a 55 series on the back, at least not on anything I intended on leaning over.

Few things to consider though: I don't know if this is my imagination or maybe I just got used to the bike a little, but the taller tire does seem to take a little bit of grunt out of the throttle. By a little I mean VERY little.

Another thing… might not even be an issue for you, but if you have a hard time standing flat footed with the bike now you'll have an even harder time when you jack the rear up. I'm 6'1" with a 33" inseam and it’s not really an issue for me, but it's getting close.

Lastly you will put a little more pressure on your wrists so you'll want to support yourself a little more with your core. If your one of those guys wholikes to lock your arms and cruise for miles you'll probably notice a little extra tension.

All and all i think it is a great course of action if you want to sharpen the steering of your bike a little. I wouldn't consider going back to the stock links unless I was upgrading to an aftermarket shock.

Good Luck!!!

Gary

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Sounds like it will be good set-up for me from the comments you guys have given so far. The increased ride height and pressure on the wrists shouldn't be an issue for me as I'm 6"3' and quite fit with strong core muscles. I'm actualy looking forward to having a taller Busa. I'm also switching to forged alloy rims and a 45T rear sprocket so that should more than compensate for any loss of throttle response from the taller profile.

I'll be having the suspension adjusted at the track so I can get a lap by lap feel for the changes but I hadn't thought about or even considered the steering damper, Thanks for the tip GIXERHP.

I'll be making all the changes in about two weeks, so until then if anyone else has any pro's/cons or thoughts I'm keen to learn about it.

I have both the 1" dogbones and 190/55 tire fitted to my busa. Did both at the same time. Then got the stock suspension sag setup for my weight of 175lbs less gear. Oh, I am also running a 46 rear sprocket on the stock chain. It moved the axle 1/2" forward shorting the wheel base. All of this helps give the busa a better feel and turn in if you like corner carving! I rode a 08 busa that was stock and then mine and can really tell a difference. Mine had more weight on the front tire, which gave me more feed back and feel to what the front tire was doing. Also the bike feels more eager to turn. The 46 rear sprocket gave the busa more punch coming out of the corners too. Oh and you gain ground clearance too. Others with stock busas have rashed side fairings, exhaust pipes, and side covers. I have just worn 1/4 of my peg feelers only! Hope this helps!

I recommend going to ss brake lines, ebc extreme pads, and a brembo master cylinder if you are doing track days. So much better then the stockers! Seriously a must do if you like to ride fast! Great feel, power, and consistent brakes. The stockers will fade fade fade fade!

My busa mods: yoshi r77 full system, 46 rear sprocket, motty afr tuner, brembo master cylinder, ss speigler brake lines, ebc extreme brake pads, 09 gsxr 1000 front brake calipers, 1" raising dog bones, q2 tires 190/55 rear, piper cross air filter, ecu edit... Timing retard 1-4 gear removed, puig double bubble wind screen, and lighting improvements. All weigh in at 548lbs. Full of fluids. Stock was 585lbs.

I have both the 1" dogbones and 190/55 tire fitted to my busa. Did both at the same time. Then got the stock suspension sag setup for my weight of 175lbs less gear. Oh, I am also running a 46 rear sprocket on the stock chain. It moved the axle 1/2" forward shorting the wheel base. All of this helps give the busa a better feel and turn in if you like corner carving! I rode a 08 busa that was stock and then mine and can really tell a difference. Mine had more weight on the front tire, which gave me more feed back and feel to what the front tire was doing. Also the bike feels more eager to turn. The 46 rear sprocket gave the busa more punch coming out of the corners too. Oh and you gain ground clearance too. Others with stock busas have rashed side fairings, exhaust pipes, and side covers. I have just worn 1/4 of my peg feelers only! Hope this helps!

I recommend going to ss brake lines, ebc extreme pads, and a brembo master cylinder if you are doing track days. So much better then the stockers! Seriously a must do if you like to ride fast! Great feel, power, and consistent brakes. The stockers will fade fade fade fade!

My busa mods: yoshi r77 full system, 46 rear sprocket, motty afr tuner, brembo master cylinder, ss speigler brake lines, ebc extreme brake pads, 09 gsxr 1000 front brake calipers, 1" raising dog bones, q2 tires 190/55 rear, piper cross air filter, ecu edit... Timing retard 1-4 gear removed, puig double bubble wind screen, and lighting improvements. All weigh in at 548lbs. Full of fluids. Stock was 585lbs.

Thanks for the feedback EarlyBird. More weight and feedback from the front is definately what I'm looking for and I'll take any extra ground clearance I can get.

For Braking, I've got SS lines, Braketech Axis Iron rotors with Ferrodo CP211 pads at the moment which is fine for the level I'm at. Maybe a Brembo master cylinder and possibly some calipers will come next year. I'll upgrade the suspension first though. I did order some Ohlins forks last week but got screwed around on the order so I cancelled it.

Current mods (and parts ready to go) so far: Brocks Alien Head, Galespeed Type 'S' rims, BrakeTech Axis Iron Rotors, Ferrodo CP211 pads, 45T Rear Sprocket, 1" Raising links, Spiegler brake and clutch lines, Translogic QS4 Quickshifter, Piper Cross Filter, Sato Rearsets, Woodcraft Stator Cover, Zero Gravity screen, mirror block off plates, GSXR1000 front fender, Samco Hoses and clamps, ECU edit.

Thanks for the feedback EarlyBird. More weight and feedback from the front is definately what I'm looking for and I'll take any extra ground clearance I can get.

For Braking, I've got SS lines, Braketech Axis Iron rotors with Ferrodo CP211 pads at the moment which is fine for the level I'm at. Maybe a Brembo master cylinder and possibly some calipers will come next year. I'll upgrade the suspension first though. I did order some Ohlins forks last week but got screwed around on the order so I cancelled it.

Current mods (and parts ready to go) so far: Brocks Alien Head, Galespeed Type 'S' rims, BrakeTech Axis Iron Rotors, Ferrodo CP211 pads, 45T Rear Sprocket, 1" Raising links, Spiegler brake and clutch lines, Translogic QS4 Quickshifter, Piper Cross Filter, Sato Rearsets, Woodcraft Stator Cover, Zero Gravity screen, mirror block off plates, GSXR1000 front fender, Samco Hoses and clamps, ECU edit.

1 1/4" bar risers will put you about back to stock riding position with the rear raised up like that.

Mines done this way 1" raising links, and 190/55 rear tire, I also did complete way rotors, ss lines, motul 600 brake fluid, race tech springs and lots of adjusting. I am finally to the point on the bike where I am almost happy with the set-up.

Good luck,
Scott :thumbsup:

Back