1" raising links

Revolution

revolution custom paint
Donating Member
Registered
do the 1" raising links shorten the wheelbase 1" or is there some other type of mathematical wizardry involved?

also, will the 1" raising links make the busa prone to wheelie?

not sure exactly how much......but it's not enough to have to remove a link from ur chain.....mine is done.

DD

EDIT: Definately DOES NOT shorten wheelbase 1 inch......just a few millimeters.

yeah mine was done to and it wont wheelie anymore than normal and if you think it does it is in your head

big thanks ninja, but did mine already, thanks again though. just getting used to a more responsive bike and was curious/cautious about the "new" ride/ handling characteristics.

no problem man hey i need to talk to you sometime i got a few questions about wrap kits didnt know if you knew anything about them being the painter

Rev, my experience with 1" risers is threefold....first, slight additional cornering clearance second, the front fork/ground geometry is altered to yield quicker steering. Third, bike leans over farther on kickstand.

I don't even remember having to adjust the chain after the mod which tells me it was minimal, if any. BTW, I'd never switch back...only lower than stock for temporary drag or top speed use...then back to 1" over.
Raydog

i love the way the bike feels. i haven't "hit" it yet and wanted to know if it'd wheelie where it didn't before. being that the wheelbase is shortened from raising i was wondering by how much? i just raised it and added a TRE, i dont want to twist the wrist and go vertical
SHOCKED.gif
the bike does handle great with the +1's on the street
thumb_up.gif

what is the stock wheelbase, and what is the wheelbase with +1 raising links? will this difference cause the bike to be wheelie prone
rock.gif

hey Rev, I don,t think the bone adjustment,s changes the wheel base any, but I could be wrong, but the sub frame is what moves up and down, as I,m sure u know, so I don,t really see how the wheel base could change, but probably turns in like it,s shorter thou.

Whose links did you use Rev?

I lower the front to achiev a similar turn in effect but, I'd rather have raised her behind.
thumb_up.gif

When I went to a 43 t rear spkt my bike became a wheelie bike....didn't even notice any addl wheelie tendancy with riser link. Quicker steering though. Technically, yes shorter wheelbase, measurement diff? probably in an few milimeters...undetectible in terms of wheelying.

By raising your bike an inch in the rear you have changed the swingarm angle. By adding positive angle to the swingarm which changes the chain pull angle. This tends to make the chain want to pull the swing arm further down under heavy power (Actually topping out the rear shock in extreme conditions). The results of this is poor rear wheel traction. Under heavy power while exiting a corner, the wheel is pulled downward decreasing traction even more. If the wheel spins, even moderately, the squat side of the equasion looses it's effect and the chain forces take over. In an extreme case, this will happen so suddenly that the wheel can seem to snap sideways as the rear suspension extends suddenly.

Raising your ride in the rear will give your bike a quicker tip in. If you tip your bike in while hard on the brakes you'll find it wants to fall on it's face. This is due to the forks compressing and adding more front to rear angle. As the angle increases it reduces the amount of trail. The less trail the faster it falls into the corner. I have ridden bikes that tipped in so harshly it was hard to keep from running off the track on the inside.

Bikes are like airplanes, you don't get anything for free. Every time you change one thing, you usually loose something in the opposite direction.

Suspension IMO is much more important than HP. There is nothing better than a bike with perfectly tuned suspension and nothing worse that a bike with the suspension all fookered up.

Raising the rear an inch doesn't do anything to wheelbase.  If it did, you'd have to adjust or remove links from your chain. It changes the chasis geometry as in rake/trail.

While its true a bike that is higher overall has a tendancy to wheelie and stoppie more.  A stock busa is set-up as a tourer.  So raising the rear an inch doesn't put it into the danger zone, it actually brings it closer to a sport bike setup.

While its true raising the rear or lowering the front changes the swingarm angle making it more likely to spin up because it doesn't squat enough, again the stock busa is set-up so much like a tourer that you still have plenty of swingarm angle for rear traction.

Bottom line, raising the rear an inch doesn't change wheelbase, make it too wheelie prone or make it too likely to spin up.  On a Busa, raising the rear an inch has many more benfits than drawbacks.

I think this is the first time I have ever had a disagreement with Charles. This guy is usually nuts on with his posts but I'm thinking he is a wee bit on the Liberal side of this one
fight.gif

Swingarm angle is an extremely important factor in suspension geometry. And the fact that the busa is so powerful multiplies this component. There is only a very small window of swingarm angle that gives the delicant balance of anti squat as weight is transferred to the rear under accelleration.

I also disagree as to the busa being a touring bike thus the swing arm angle doesn't seriously affect the squat/antisquat with an inch of lift.
Charles should pick up a copy of "Sportbike Suspension Tuning" by Andrew Trevitt. Possibly the best suspension book available? I think Charles may have a change of thought after a thorough reading?
beerchug.gif

Not to worry Charles, I'm sure it will be a long time before I find another subject in which we disagree
bowdown.gif

The +1 links changed it enough where I had to rotate my rear break rotor forward a bit to put the break bar back on and adjust the chain. It does make the bike quicker.

If you have to adjust your chain, your wheel base changed (longer or shorter slightly) which is the case with lowering or raisng links. Its not much but it changes.
thumb_up.gif

theory is a wonderful thing... On practice.. I know I`m faster with raised rear. I can accelerate harder out of the corners then before.
Weight distribution is very important, with my fat azz (280Lb geared up) suspension geometry pretty much the same as with 180-190 LB rider.

I think this is the first time I have ever had a disagreement with Charles. This guy is usually nuts on with his posts but I'm thinking he is a wee bit on the Liberal side of this one  
fight.gif

Swingarm angle is an extremely important factor in suspension geometry. And the fact that the busa is so powerful multiplies this component. There is only a very small window of swingarm angle that gives the delicant balance of anti squat as weight is transferred to the rear under accelleration.

I also disagree as to the busa being a touring bike thus the swing arm angle doesn't seriously affect the squat/antisquat with an inch of lift.
Charles should pick up a copy of "Sportbike Suspension Tuning" by Andrew Trevitt. Possibly the best suspension book available? I think Charles may have a change of thought after a thorough reading?  
beerchug.gif

Not to worry Charles, I'm sure it will be a long time before I find another subject in which we disagree  
bowdown.gif
The reason I think +1 doesn't give the bike too much antisquat, because I have +1 and accelerate hard out of corners at trackdays. A lot of people comment on my corner speed and how hard my drive is out of the corners. If +1 gave the bike too much anitsquat, I'd be running into problems. Does it give the bike some anti-squat, yes. But not too much to be a problem.

And I do believe the engineers designed the bike to be more touring like than sport like. That's what makes this bike so awesome, its the "all purpose" bike that with minor changes can be great in a certain field.

Lower it and it becomes a drag monster.

Raise the grips and get a double bouble, awesome tourer.

Raise the rear an inch, respring the front and upgrade the brakes, a sport bike with a monster engine!

I go to many trackdays with a bunch of guys who all have the +1. None of them are experiencing any anti-squat problems either.

The biggest problem a serious trackday rider runs into with a busa, ground clearance. Never enough, which is another reason the +1s are a must for the twisty guy.

I have big respect for you Tuf and its no big deal for me that we may disagree
beerchug.gif
winkold.gif

beerchug.gif

Back