Clutch Options

At the line I'm making around 6psi. I still have stock rear suspension on it, and have played with it alot to where I like it. However, the shock is basically limited where I'm at as I can overpower it no problem, and wanting to upgrade. It does get me into a bit of trouble sometimes.
Seat time is a definite and I am by no means an expert an still need ALOT of seat time. I'd like to see a pro take mine out and see what they could run on it that's for sure.
But take this into consideration, learning how to use and abuse the stock clutch means you learn how to push your bike and how hard to push it with YOUR inputs. I kind of like that aspect. These clutches can take a lot of abuse, so I'd personally put the money somewhere else with how the OP is going to use it.

Ive seen those guys throwing 1.16 over and over with stock clutches but those guys have limousine swing arms, flat slick, no limit grudge setups. But they couldn't do that without over and over doing passes. I mean they do 20+ passes per night, live close to the track, real close, and go 3 nights per week. For years with the same bike. I wish I lived closer to the track.

I live 6 miles from the track and make about 500 passes a year. My Rock clutch makes my 60's more consistent and a little quicker. It makes hitting the tree the same every time easier too. Sure, I could stretch more for better results but tracks around here aren't super prepped every time and I'd end up spinning a lot more. I also have a regular clutch bike I'll be using for the slower races and just for fun.

Travis, have you done the simple things like the carpenter clutch kit and HD springs? I know guys who can throw a 1.16 stock clutch. Those are full out grudge bikes but it goes to show that it might make the most sense to limit the clutch investment to be the last thing. Have suspension and tune dialed in and THEN start looking at aftermarket clutches. Or not. Do 30 passes a weekend for 2 years like those guys and +18 and a slick and prog nitrous while shedding 100lbs off the bike and rock out with a stock clutch.

Hey sorry just getting back to this I went ahead and bought the multistage mtc lockup that was offered my bike did have a clutch mod and stuffer springs it wasn't slipping just hard to launch .... I only made three passes on the track and everything went wrong so didn't get a good go at it ... My tire was bald from a recent burnout contest but I had it geared too hi ... I geared it up one tooth in front to correct the speedo so that hurt me pretty bad then my two step had a loose wire and wouldn't hold rpm so when I was leaving the line I either blew the tire off or it fell on its face but any way just from practicing on the street it's still a lot harder to launch than my stock busa and I really like the idea of just throwing the clutch and having it set up to do the work

You gotta understand, multiple problems and trying to fix them is going to have you pulling your hair out. In my opinion, I would get a shinko hook up and run it around 14 psi. I don't know what you have for a shock but you need to have that dialed in before you go to clutch else you will be adjusted the clutch thinking it the problem. Just my opinion but until you have your suspension set up, which in my case is a shinko hook up that I have confidence in, and a Penske built specifically for my weight and wheelbase, then you can begin to work the clutch issue.

I have a shinko hook up and run about 12lb in it and I have a heavier spring on the back and tried to set it up best I could according to brocks YouTube video

I have a Power one on my rear now but had a Shinko Hookup on it before with stock rims and the Shinko hooked like velcro! freakn awesome tire! I can't say the Power One will be better cause the f-en miserable weather here in new England has not allowed me to put it to the test yet. but that Hookup was impressive and I was making 335 whp at 61 inches stock revolved shock. now I'm longer, upgraded shock and about a 100 more hp so we will see wat happens

I have a shinko hook up and run about 12lb in it and I have a heavier spring on the back and tried to set it up best I could according to brocks YouTube video

I'm looking and researching too Travis. I did the hard way through MTC which is somewhat local (so I paid tax, even worse) and bought the billet hub, single stage lockup, all brand new. Ran half a season experimenting with a not so great turbo tune and spring only and a shock that was fucked. I tried different springs in the clutch, actually went too far and cooked a set of plates n fibers in one pass once. Everybody is upgrading right now so the used stuff, MTC multis and what not are out there and affordable. When you go to a gen 2 or hays, they don't use the same baskets so those guys sell the billet basket and clutch for half or less for what they paid. I see it as a journey. I am going to eliminate all problems, get the single stage where I understand it, then maybe find a used multi and I can use my same basket. Learn that. Then move on. Once you see how the setup is and look at the different clutches available, they aren't all that different in design.

From what I have learned at this point, I drive my single stage on street with the heavy springs. I go to track and pop off cover and put in some smaller springs and reduce static. Not too much. I have yet to do this season with new shock since my motor is still with builder till the end of week n then I need a tune and AMS set up. I need to get those solidified and running good before I alter the equation with a clutch mod. Fastest times from us guys that wont get as much seat time as the dudes that live right by the track is going to be a slider. It isn't streetable although the hays convertible can be set up that way. I have no clue how to set up a slider. I also hear negative things about Hays but there are guys who wouldn't sell theirs for anything,

Back