Clutch Options

Travis England

Registered
I have an 04 turbo hayabusa currently a stage one 230 hp and I'm upgrading the turbo and fueling system looking for around 300 hp... The bike will be a weekend cruiser / drag racer 75% cruising 25% racing ... Nothing competitive just for fun .. Any way what options do I have for a clutch ? I've read about the mtc two stage lockup and multistage lockup but after buying a billet basket, hub, clutch cover and the clutch I would have a fortune in it.... I'm looking to be able to just throw the clutch off the line and preferably lock up by wheel speed I would think that would be best for street ... I really can't find anything other than Hayes and mtc are there any other good options

Hayes offers 3 clutches I believe. The convertible may be your best bet if you want to be able to street ride it. I think it can be set up like a lockup, then back over to hand slider for the strip.

I believe the hays works from engine speed ... I was thinking a clutch that worked off of wheel speed may be better... If I were to have a little less static spring pressure than stock and let's say I got going 25-35 mph the clutch would be locked up I could leave it set up for the track and just take off easy from a light or stop sign and once I was rolling it would act more like a factory clutch ... Am I right and if so would that go more inline with a multistage lock up and what are the different brands that are out ... It would be nice to find a multi stage in a kit with the basket hub and everything needed

A clutch that works good at the track doesn't always work so good on the street...I have an old school MTC multistage,when it's set up to throw the lever away at the track it will slip at that rpm when ridden on the street...

I have a MTC Multistage on mine to , Its set up for the street and works just like a stock clutch except after 8 grand or so its very hard to pull in unless you have a airshifter or blip it and go clutchless up shifts , when going to the track its a matter of switching some springs and a few washer's

I have a two step and an air shifter ... My two step is set at 4 k I make plenty of boost there and when using my clutch I been working on being off the clutch completely at 60 ft but it's still hard to do ... Only went to the track once with this bike and best 60 was like 1.78 it was geared too high and I needed a new tire it would either spin or fall on its face

I'm in the process if upgrading the turbo as well just haven't decided what I will get and I want everything to be right before I spend the money for more power

I have a MTC Multistage on mine to , Its set up for the street and works just like a stock clutch except after 8 grand or so its very hard to pull in unless you have a airshifter or blip it and go clutchless up shifts , when going to the track its a matter of switching some springs and a few washer's
Did you make it out to the track and try it out yet? If I didn't need Brett's hub I would buy his multi. I really want to learn more about the hays convertible. I know I know. Ive heard the bad from multiple folks. Even though Eric lives 10 miles from me and I could torment him until he helped me dial in a gen 2, I like the hays concept better. Im not sure I know why.

Travis, have you done the simple things like the carpenter clutch kit and HD springs? I know guys who can throw a 1.16 stock clutch. Those are full out grudge bikes but it goes to show that it might make the most sense to limit the clutch investment to be the last thing. Have suspension and tune dialed in and THEN start looking at aftermarket clutches. Or not. Do 30 passes a weekend for 2 years like those guys and +18 and a slick and prog nitrous while shedding 100lbs off the bike and rock out with a stock clutch.

Kevin , I got a Used MTC hub that needs to have some groves sanded out , Maybe you could take it over to them and for a few bucks they will smooth it up for you , If you want it call me

Stock!!!! That's what I'm running on my gen 2 pushing 12lbs at the track...

Just the spring. The class that I race in doesn't allow boost control.

Ugghh. That must take some serious serious seat time to get consistent 60'. I am assuming you are launching at at least 6psi or something.

Back