CLUNK SOUND

monti

Registered
This is what I am experiencing. When easing off the cluth in first and starting to move I hear a CLUNK, I don't hear it when I accelerate hard but when coming off a light or stop and don't gas it hard right after complete release of the clutch CLUNK, any ideas what this might be, bike only has 2600 miles.

thanks

Lots of bikes do it... mine does it too. Alot of people have posted about this "clunck" sound and nobody knows what it is...

lurk.gif

sometimes for me at a stop light i will not get 1st totally engadged, so when i give it gas it kicks into 1st and clunks

Make sure when you come to a stop, you get it COMPLETELY into first gear.

--Wag--

Brethren, and Sistren,

Just wanted to throw in that mine's done this for the good part of the last six months.
rock.gif
Gear shaft movement, maybe. Something's shifting when torque is applied. That's what it feels like to me....dunno..not worried. When it no longer rolls forward with power, I'll be taking things apart. Until then, keep me posted if someone finds the source.

Spudley
Las Vegas
05' r/b

"RUBBER SIDE DOWN ALL THE TIME !!!".

Just cut your pipes off at the mids, you wont hear any of those strange noises.
wink.gif

i have heard what you are talking about  i have one tooth down on front  and different chain than stk, have not heard it on my bike,i am thinking it is something with the chain because both bikes that i have heard this on have stk chain and sprockets also not many miles.

I know this is late coming ...but after just removing the clutch cover to inspect my plates ... I see that the clutch hub might be the source of the sound...

The "back torque limiter" essentially has a certain amount of slack built into it to allow for the transfer of energy in an effort to help keep the rear tire from locking up.
It's a 2 piece at the center of the hub and many racers go to a one piece billet or just weld the 2 together. Those hubs would offer no such slack and probably no noise either.

So...I'd guess it's normal as well.

I dont hear anything over my HMF high mounts, so sorry I cant be of any help!

I know this is late coming ...but after just removing the clutch cover to inspect my plates ... I see that the clutch hub might be the source of the sound...

The "back torque limiter" essentially has a certain amount of slack built into it to allow for the transfer of energy in an effort to help keep the rear tire from locking up.
It's a 2 piece at the center of the hub and many racers go to a one piece billet or just weld the 2 together. Those hubs would offer no such slack and probably no noise either.

So...I'd guess it's normal as well.

Hit It Right Smack on the Head !!!

race.gif

I HAVE AN 02LE AND I EXPERIENCE THE CLUNK WHEN MY CHAIN IS IN NEED OF LUBE. MY CHAIN IS PRETTY MUCH AT THE END OF IT'S LIFE AND NEEDS REPLACING BUT WHENEVER I HAVE HEARD IT I LUBED THE CHAIN REALLY GOOD AND IT GOES AWAY. AS FAR AS I CAN TELL IT SOUNDS LIKE IT COMES FROM UP NEAR THE CLUTCH COVER AREA. WHEN EVERYTHING IS ADJUSTED AND PROPERLY MAINTAINED IT ISNT PRESENT. CHECK CHAIN SLACK AND REAR WHEEL ALIGNMENT.

I HAVE AN 02LE AND I EXPERIENCE THE CLUNK WHEN MY CHAIN IS IN NEED OF LUBE. MY CHAIN IS PRETTY MUCH AT THE END OF IT'S LIFE AND NEEDS REPLACING BUT WHENEVER I HAVE HEARD IT I LUBED THE CHAIN REALLY GOOD AND IT GOES AWAY. AS FAR AS I CAN TELL IT SOUNDS LIKE IT COMES FROM UP NEAR THE CLUTCH COVER AREA. WHEN EVERYTHING IS ADJUSTED AND PROPERLY MAINTAINED IT ISNT PRESENT. CHECK CHAIN SLACK AND REAR WHEEL ALIGNMENT.
race.gif
guns.gif

Back