CLUNKING SOUND

NIDO84

Registered
My 99 model is making some loud clunking sounds coming from the front-end ,the head races seem fine and the wheel bearings are ok so I am at a loss to what the problem is . It is not the steering damper as the sound is coming from lower down and when I rock the front you can hear the clunking.
any ideas ?

tried the caliper bolts and the rotor mouting bolts and they are tight m,might take to a bike shop where they fettle and tune race bikes to see if they have any ideas

I have that same clunking noise on my '03 the bike has had very few wheelies and has done it since I bought it I am still at a loss as to the source of the noise, perhaps this weekend I can do some r&d and find out the culprit.

I gave my bike a thourough inspection, and the only thing I could come up with is that the steering damper is wagging as much as my dogs tail at the sight of a hamburger! are all the steering dampers mounted this loosly??

Had the same noise on my 03' when rolling out in 1st. Lasted ~1000 miles and haven't heard it since. Still not quite sure what is was.

Hi Nido84,

Are you getting this clunking noise when you push the front of the bike up and down with the front brake on. If so, have you checked the disc bobbins. Sometimes on a floating disc setup the bobbins can wear the ally rotor slightly and this allows the disc to move back and forth on the rotor.

Try putting the front wheel against a wall and push the bike up and down with the brake off to see if you still get the noise. Also check that the brake pads are not too loose in the calipers as they can move back and forth causing a noise too.

Cheers,

Steve.

I hear the same occasional clunk on my `02 up front. Judging from the circumstances when I hear it, it seems to be coming from the suspension but I can't prove or disprove that. I can't find anything on the frame, forks, or brakes that is loose or amiss. I'm puzzled...!
wow.gif

I read in the "other" forum that the vibration damper can make an occasional funky clunk. Since I can't find any other source for the sound, I'm going to look into that.

I have the same problem with my 2000. I have 20.000 km on it. I have change all the bearings (front wheel, frame), check the brakes, check the floating disks, remove the steering stabilizer, remove the panel, lights, front subframe. the noise was there. I only get the noise when i was in a bumpy road. Finally i have change the oils on the forks, and i put racing oils. The noise had decrease, but not gone. Does anyone have any more ideas...?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?

rock.gif

Yes I too get this noise, 2003 model (boosted) with 7000km.

When on bumpy roads, it sounds a lot like it's disc related.

But after thoroughly inspecting everything around the front end I found it was all perfect, but still the noise persists .. getting progressively louder.

The front's landed some pretty heavy wheelies :p .The noise has developed over maybe 2500km. It's not the steering damper as the plastic grommets will absorb any shock quietly.

The only thing I think it could be is front wheel bearings .. ?? help !

I have the same problem with my 2000. I have 20.000 km on it. I have change all the bearings (front wheel, frame), check the brakes, check the floating disks, remove the steering stabilizer, remove the panel, lights, front subframe. the noise was there. I only get the noise when i was in a bumpy road. Finally i have change the oils on the forks, and i put racing oils. The noise had decrease, but not gone. Does anyone have any more ideas...?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
if you have done all that WOW.

You mentioned you added race oil to the forks. And that helped.

perhaps one of the rods in the stansion tubes came loose,and the heavier fork oil is not allowing it to move about as freely?

Broken spring in one of the forks?

Never had a Busa fork apart so bear with me(I've rebuilt dozens of forks thou) perhaps the sliders that take up the slack between the tube(stansion) and the lower leg are worn out or toasted.

Just ideas, I'll pull up the manual in a bit, for exact Busa part names/numbers.

rock.gif

also, for everybody, I had a clunking sound in my Busa last year... loose steering head bearings. Gave them a whack, half a turn I think...clunk gone.

It's those yellow marker reflectors. When a strong light hits them they make a clunking sound
idea.gif

Seriously could it be the brake Pads. They loosely fit in channels held by the upper spring steel plate. They still schatter sideways.
2nd the checking out the steering head bearing.

Yeah I have that same sound on my 05. It started once I came back from deal's gap. I thought I rode her a bit to hard, but after reading all this I guess it wasn' t my fault...sigh. I will check my stuff out now, and update as well.

ive noticed something myself. Sounds like a to peices of metal slapping in the breeze on initial take off. very low speed.

Check the mounting bolts on the fender. These bolts tend to loosen themselves over time. I check and retighten bolts about once a month, and those fender bolts are always a little loose.

Back