Engine Clunk!

Darmah900

Registered
Hi all. Looking at buying a '99 busa which (sad story) was left parked in a garage for 2 years. Obviously well loved previously. The bike runs but pretty roughly, gummed up injectors I'd guess.
What worries me is an occasional deep "CLUNK!" from the engine (low down) at or just above idle speed. It sounds like someone hitting the crankcase with a hammer! It is very intermittent and happens with the clutch in or out. I can reproduce the "CLUNK" sound with the back wheel off the ground in first gear & engine stopped (lash in the gearbox/primary drive). The bike revs ok and rides, just feels lumpy at low revs.
The noise is the only thing concerning me, but it is so irregular I can't pin it down.
I had a busa a while ago, and it ran like a (very very fast and noisy) sewing machine.....
Any thoughts on the clunk?
Thanks.

Thanks. I am already considering that option.... Just looking for informed opinions, as my gut feeling is that the rough running is causing the clunk.......

I hear ya. Either way it's a gamble. One that I personally wouldn't take. That is... unless it's a smokin deal. Then I would offer considerably less. Is it only in first gear that the noise occurs?

Thanks. I would have bought the bike on the spot but for the clunk...... In neutral, clutch in or out, and in gear while stationary. Maybe 2 clunks, then 30 seconds before another clunk..... Then maybe a minute then another. Seems random! Doesn't seem to do it under load once above idle. I like everything else about the bike, billet calipers & swingarm, pc3, 33000 miles. £2300....

Thanks. I would have bought the bike on the spot but for the clunk...... In neutral, clutch in or out, and in gear while stationary. Maybe 2 clunks, then 30 seconds before another clunk..... Then maybe a minute then another. Seems random! Doesn't seem to do it under load once above idle. I like everything else about the bike, billet calipers & swingarm, pc3, 33000 miles. £2300....
did you ever find out what it was.that made the clunk noise.

That sounds like the clutch basket....... open the fast idle valve all the way that should make it almost go away. Then once it warms up the sound goes away regardless of idle speed

Back