Clunking in First??

PACIFICBUSA

The Shaver Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
ok, please forgive the noob, guys. I'm riding my 99 and I'm getting a sort of rough shift from neutral to first and then up to second. I'll clutch in, hit the peg and then - clunk! I'm trying to figure out what it is. 8 times outta 10 it'll clunk, but the other two times the shift will be as smooth as a baby's bottom. Once it speeds up, third through six shifts a whole lot smoother than the first two. Any suggestions? Also, bike is about four years old with about 7600 miles on her. The previous owner took awesome care of her, so I'm really puzzled. Please help!

Sounds exactly like mine was before the PCIIIR install. The stock busa fuel and timing just makes for piss poor driveability down low. When I first got my busa I thought I had forgotten how to shift a stinkin' bike. Couldn't shift it smooth to save my life. The PCIIIR and a Johnnycheese map smoothed it out and made it shift schweet. Driveability improved by an unbelieveable amount. The Brock map I'm running with my Hindle is just as smooth. It goes through the gears now like a dose of salts through a widow woman!
laugh.gif

Thanks, guys. I thought it was my clutch fluid or the clutch lines. I know it's around that time to replace them, but the original owner took real good care of it. Not a single piece of rash anywhere, and the chain still has the stock amount of play. Pretty good for a four year-old bike. Regardless, I'm gonna change the brake and clutch lines when I do the fluid. Bullet and Fish, thanks again. So I guess it's safe to assume that the clunking is normal?

Hard to say without actually riding your bike but it does sound normal compared to how mine was before the PC. I'd just watch it and have it checked if it got worse.
wink.gif

Back