Cloudy clutch fluid

Better seals in your brake system than the clutch system. It's not a bog deal though. Flush n fill, good as new. :beerchug:

I suspect that's absolutely true. The weak point is at the bottom near the slave piston where the rod goes through the clutch basket.

--Wag--

I recommend using DOT 5.1, has a higher boiling point.
I

Not necessary for the clutch system but nothing wrong with it, either.

Once in a while, you have to change out the cup in the slave piston in order to keep it from developing small leaks. Easy to do. Helps to clear up the fluid for a while, too.

--Wag--

i always changed all the master cylinders of all my bikes to dot 5
don't forget to flush all the old crap out through the lines and piston assembly

On a Bus,

To replace the clutch fluid, I did the following:

- remove LHS fairing lower
- remove coolant resevoir & place to one side
- connect bleed hose to bleed nipple on top of clutch release mechanism.
- remove clutch fluid resevoir outer & inner covers as well as rubber boot. (take care you don't get clutch fluid *anywhere* - if you do wash immediately with water)
- bleed clutch until resevoir nearly empty
- top up with fresh fluid
- continue to bleed & top up until all residue is gone (takes about 3-4 top-up's)
- put everything back together.

((Note: I did all this with exception of suctioning all the old from the rez and refilling with new Dot 4 ad then proceeding to bleed as was mentioned. .I as well placed a towel under the rez to avoid any spillage onto the bike..and dried the inside of rez prior to filling it to ensure a clean glass viewer.. good luck..)
The new master cyl resevoirs are great to work with - they have good sealing systems and they don't squirt fluid everywhere when you're bleeding them. I'm going to have to disassemble the master cyl & resevoir someday, though - there's still some crud stuck to the sight glass on the resevoir.

Hope this helps,
Murray

I interjected my note in with what Murray wrote..:thumbsup:

Guys, i wonder how you didn't know about slave cylinder weakness... )) Probably that's you have much cleaner streets :) Common problem here.
Dirt from chain hits and sticks to slave cylinder and it's rod. When it becomes way to dirty, slave cylinder can even malfunction.

I have one more question, in case if this happens, cleaning up slave cylinder doesn't help often. Tell me please, where i can purchase clutch slave cylinder repair kit, in USA?

That rod collects a lot of dirt from the chain and if not cleaned,u will get dark fluid and possibly a leak .. I replaced the whole thing last year..it cost me around 200 plus a new rod..they make a sand and seal kit online to keep dirt out..but there really hard to find..they were sold out or i would have bought one..i have not had any trouble since i replaced it or any dark fluid..i also just tried to change the fluid first but after a while it does back to dirty fluid..

I've googled "hayabusa clutch slave repair" or rebuild on google a lot and there are always links. cycle brakes has em.

Back