Clutch fluid turning black quickly on Busa

OB_Animal

Registered
Not that big an issue but one that I seem to remember many people having noticed.

At first I just thought I'd flush it at the same time I was gonna install the braided line for the clutch and that would be the end of it

I even laughed out aloud to myself when someone (think it was Coco but please don't shoot me if I'm wrong) suggested at Ranger's site that he thought it was from water/crud/whatever entering the system from around the front sprocket area.
At that time I had not seen that area on the Busa yet and used the way it was done on my Honda CB1000 Big One as a reference and on that bike this would be absolutely impossible.

In the mean time I have now taken the front sprocket cover off and taken the clutch slave assembly apart and had a long good look at this whole construction and I now tend to believe that this is indeed the problem here.

The kind of seal used for the slave clutch cylinder is not one with a lot of sealing pressure behind it UNTIL used, as the clutch fluid itself seems to be used to pressurize the seal?

Furthermore, the whole construction seems so stupidly NOT thought about properly, as in the clutch slave area getting loads of "**** " from the chain and such dumped on it with nothing to keep it away from the area that it slides in/on.

I've now cleaned/rebuild it like new and incorporated sort of a cap over the slave assembly on the inside with a hole in the middle just a little larger ID than required for the clutch pushrod.

If you ever find the time to do this, just take the front sprocket cover off and take one good look and you'll see and understand.

I used a cap from a 1 liter plastic milk bottle with OD appr. 2" and height only about .1" and glued it in place on the outside rim of the part that the slave cylinder moves in on the inside.

Any remarks/suggestions welcome.

Only bad thing is that I haven't been riding my Busa yet since this and I'm not doing that many miles anyway so for a long term verdict someone else must be crazy enough to try this out as well.

Also, no pics available as I only thought of that after bolting everything up again, but I'm sure that anybody who's not a mechanical moron will understand once he has things apart.

Apologies to Coco if it was him, for my first thoughts.

And JeffW if you ever decide to do it, think about what colour cap to use with your Mikuni sprocket cover. I used a blue milk bottle cap (no choice available really) and it would sure look weird if that was out in the open.

[This message has been edited by Animal (edited 21 March 2000).]

I flush my clutch fluid every 1000 miles or sooner if it starts turnning black I believe
it is due to the clutch heat due to a heavy load I notice the more I am hard on the clutch the quicker it turn dark.

That's not the kind of regular maintenance that I'd wanna spend time on, even with Russel's easybleeder valves and Mityvac.

JC, I was just kidding, I know it's nothing when you do it regularly and the smart way, it's just that I generally hate to be fooling around with brake/clutch fluid and if I can prevent it from having to be replaced at a regularity of MONTHS then I'll definitely go for that option.

I have got a 99 Hayabusa and I live in the |UK near London. My seals on the slave blew and I lost all the fluid. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the seals(Warranty)
They did say they wanted to replace the whole slave but there wasnt any in the country!
This is obviously a problem that is not just isolated to myself. Does anyone know if the year 2000 model has a different slave??

Animal I noticed the same lack of a dust seal or a rubber cover on the clutch shaft which is subjected to some corrosion, I cleaned it off with abrasive cloth. I considered looking for a rubber boot for the shaft, and decided that since you could not seal the ends well it would end up as a catch all for the crud and maybe makke matters worse.

Maybe a stainless steel or titanium shaft would be a better solution to the corrosion.

Yeah, that LH clutch push-rod sure gets a lot of dirt/grime/etc. thrown at it but I just sort of massaged some molybdenum-disulfide grease on it and can't see any operational problem with it even in the worst case, so that doesn't really bother me.
I could easily see and feel that clutch slave moving heavily through the accumulated dirt though.

Back