Clutch Fluid Issue

Ride The 1300

Registered
just wondering if its only ME that has had an issue with dirty clutch fluid ... before i went to the Steel Braided lines for the brakes and clutch ... I noticed that the clutch fluid was cloudy... I have since drained and changed the clutch line... and here i am 2000 miles later .. and i notice that its getting cloudy again ...

Is it just my beast that this is happening to .. or is this happening to others
rock.gif

You may be getting a small amount of oil in the fluid, it's possible for oil to run down the part which push on the clutch plate, if the seal there is not totally clean or some how damaged. It should not hurt it at all.
How is the clutch feel?

This is a problem with all pre-2005 'Busas. The take-up rod for the clutch is directly in front of the front sprocket, and gets covered with all the gunk thrown up by the chain. A guy over here has come up with a custom part to prevent this, the "ASBS" ("Anti-Schwarzes-Bruehe-Syndrom" = "Anti Black Brew Syndrome"). Its a machined part that you mount over the take-up rod. He sells them for about 40 dollars + shipping. If anyone is interested, I can post contact info.
Here is a link to some pix... (warning: the text is all german...)

The fluid gets dark because the take up rod gets covered with gunk, which gets pulled into the clutch cylinder every time you use it. As far as I know, nobody has suffered permanent damage to the clutch because of this, but the fact that foreign material is being introduced to the clutch cylinder can't be good. At the very least, it causes unnecessary wear to the take up rod bushing and clutch cylinder.

(Hopefully someone knows what I mean when I say "take-up rod" - I only know the part by its german name "Kupplungsnehmer" - it's the rod that pushes down on the clutch piston)

Over here, almost everyone has had this problem, and lots of us have installed the mod. I had about 7000 km on mine when I installed my ASBS, and my clutch fluid was almost black. In the 2800 km since then, it's still golden, just like when I filled it.

--Steve

I have an 03' and an 05'. The 05' has a rubber boot that is fastened on the slave cylinder. The rod actually contacts the rubber boot, not the slave. It keeps the chain lube off of the slave cylinder. the 03' model I have does not have this rubber boot. Only 1000 miles on the 05' so I am not sure if it works as of yet.

I have an 03' and an 05'. The 05' has a rubber boot that is fastened on the slave cylinder. The rod actually contacts the rubber boot, not the slave. It keeps the chain lube off of the slave cylinder. the 03' model I have does not have this rubber boot. Only 1000 miles on the 05' so I am not sure if it works as of yet.
The consensus over here seems to be that the boot is a step in the right direction, but some of the more mechanically inclined guys feel that it's inadequate - some concern about potential breakdown and/or porosity of the material resulting in the same problem after some time. Generally, the ASBS works great on all model years, and is definitely more robust than the '05 rubber boot.

--Steve

Good point Steve, The photos I see above of the aftermarket item look great. Looks like the problem would be solved with that item. I may have to purchase it if the OEM 05' solution fails after time.

Brad

My 04 has the rubber boot it still gets a little a little discolored, but your right Steve it gets dirty in there another reason to clean often.

You need to change the fluid at a min every Two years, heat and moisture cause it to get dark. (NORMAL)

Read your owners manual

Back