Brown clutch fluid

mesmeralda

Registered
I have had my 'busa since Nov. 2001 and I must say its been a kick in the pants to ride. I was wondering if anyone has noticed a change in color of the brake fluid in the clutch resvoir? The brake resvoir is still clear however the clutch is considerably darker. I know as brake fluid tends to break down it discolors. I asked my dealer tech and they said it doesn't need to be changed until the specified interval. Also the fluid is under more extreme heat than the brake because of its use.
wow.gif
I have had my 'busa since Nov. 2001 and I must say its been a kick in the pants to ride. I was wondering if anyone has noticed a change in color of the brake fluid in the clutch resvoir? The brake resvoir is still clear however the clutch is considerably darker. I know as brake fluid tends to break down it discolors. I asked my dealer tech and they said it doesn't need to be changed until the specified interval. Also the fluid is under more extreme heat than the brake because of its use. mesmeralda@yahoo.com

:hammerhead: Half the time Dealer Techs don't know JACK! ...For a few bucks it certianly won't hurt anything to run some new fluid in your cluch system. If its dirty..... replace it..... it can do nothing but help Longagevity of the componets! I bet they didn't even look at it......did you talk to them on the phone?

The slave cylinder needs to be covered. Bad design. All the dirt, grease, wax and water flings off the chain and right onto the clutch rod and cylinder. With the clutch out, all that crap collects on the cylinder walls. Every time you pull the clutch, the piston moves out and exposes the fluid to the crap on the walls.

All of this makes its way into the cylinder and begins turning the fluid dark as well as collecting on the hose line's wall. If left unchecked, the clutch will soon no longer operate and will always be disengaged, causing stalls.

To get to the slave cylinder, remove your left fairing, remove the coolant reservoir, unbolt the clutch/sprocket cover and slide it out. You will need to move the shift lever back and forth or better yet just disconnect it, to remove the cover. Aluminum plating will work if you have the machinery to cut it, or aluminum duct tape (the mirror finish, hard, very sticky stuff).

Put everything back and thoroughly bleed the system with DOT 4 or 5 brake fluid.

Depending how old your bike is and the mileage, it may be a good time to replace the cylinder seals and the clutch line (replace lines every 4 years, brake lines should be done at the same time).

just changed mine 2 weekends ago it was pretty nasty shop said they havent seen fluid that nasty before.....whatever......but its still clear after 2 weeks......but as said above i heard before its a shitty design

I don't think, that only changing the fluid helps for more than a few weeks without cleaning the slave cylinder as Narcissus said. My clutch didn't work (no connection with a cold engine) at about 12000 Km. The dealer cleaned the slave cylinder and the bike got new clutch fluid. Now it's Ok. Stupid Design from Suzuki.

just changing the fluid doesnt help mines dirty again i think its been 2 weeks since i changed it....im gonna try the cleaning narricus said

Back