Clip vs. Rivet master link update...

04HappyBus

Registered
Hello all.

I posted on here a week or so ago about installing a new chain using a clip link instead of the recommended rivet type master link.

Well, I've now clocked in more than 1,000 miles with the clip link installed.  I popped on a new chain and sprockets then rocked it from Minnesota to Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI for the AMA Superbike weekend.  If you saw the SPEED TV coverage you know I ran in hard rain and rotten weather so the chain got a real workout.

The clip link held no problems.  I did backroad and highway riding and the clip never faltered.  The chain stretched a bit but not to the point of being severly loose (it needs a good cleaning though!)

So... I guess the debate is still on.  I had excellent results using the clip link.  I do check it before every ride (and did at every gas stop on the trip) but it was always there doing it's job.  I did pack a spare masterlink (always do with every bike I own) but it was never needed.

So there's an FYI ... a clip link, installed correctly, can do the job.

The prob comes in when the chain is getting close to worn out! Locktight that sucker!
all_coholic.gif

Clip link's rarely come off... it's just that when they do, the results are often bad. I would have been much more shocked to hear that it had failed in your 1000 mile trip than that it had been ok. It's still a better idea to use a fully rivited chain.

(bitabur @ Jun. 06 2007,00:31) Clip link's rarely come off... it's just that when they do, the results are often bad.  I would have been much more shocked to hear that it had failed in your 1000 mile trip than that it had been ok.  It's still a better idea to use a fully rivited chain.
+1

Never had a problem with clip chain either, but I do feal better about a full rivet chain. Sounds like you had a good time in WI regardless of rain and that is all that matters.

(SpeedAdict @ Jun. 06 2007,03:57)
(bitabur @ Jun. 06 2007,00:31) Clip link's rarely come off... it's just that when they do, the results are often bad.  I would have been much more shocked to hear that it had failed in your 1000 mile trip than that it had been ok.  It's still a better idea to use a fully rivited chain.
+1

Never had a problem with clip chain either, but I do feal better about a full rivet chain. Sounds like you had a good time in WI regardless of rain and that is all that matters.
+1 clip links are fine just means there's something else for you to check...

Back