Drive chain

04HappyBus

Registered
Hi all... I'm replacing the drive chain and sprockets on my '04 after 21,000 miles.  The kit I purchased has a Regina chain that came with a clip-style link.  I found this odd since they Hayabusa book warns against clip-type masterlinks.

Is there really that big a difference?  For just highway cruising and getting to work I can't really see how using a clip-style link would be a problem.  This bike isn't going to be doing 120+ any time soon or dragstrip duty... and I've seen other big-bore bikes with clip links running around.

Thoughts?

I run a rivet master, just don't trust clips. Some people swear by them, it is sort of like yea or nay on a TRE, tire pressure, full gear - it will come down to your comfort/preference. I don't normally break the speed limit, but I have the ability and that is enough to make me want to be as sturdy as possible. Just my .02

I have run clip master links on my bikes and in 40 yrs have only thrown one chain. HOWEVER....I never had anything that had 178 HP to the rear wheel or would break triple digits as quick as the Busa either. Just don't think I would trust them with this much HP.

Incredible TQ is the scare
SHOCKED.gif

Torque being a concern?  I've seen Big Twin monster bikes with 113+ S&S cubic inch engines running clip links.  Those things throw down WAAAYYY more torque than a stock 'Busa.  And thrash a chain much worse thorugh their tractor transmissions.  And they survive just fine.

The Regina chain came with a full-page printout on the chain package that outlined how to properly install the clip link (it's called a Type 42 link).  The literature states the link is designed to be used when a special rivet tool is not available and the link offers 99% of the strength that a rivet link provides.

ALSO: If you look at the pictures of the McCoy Motorsports custom twin-turbo Hayabusa project titled "The Wild One", you will see in some of the left-side pics that bike uses a clip-style masterlink.

im puttin down in the low 300hp range and my 60' times r in the 1.5** and i have not had any prob with either of my clip chains. they r nice because you can change them so fast. HOWEVER you must always check your clip b4 riding and everything else to make sure its still on properly

OK so I've seen both sides.

Now, I do have a Motion Pro chain rivet tool (MP Part # P558). It included three pins for breaking chain and three small "anvils". Which of these would I use for a rivet link if I sourced one to flare the pins?

Rivet. Rivet, rivet. Rivet.

--Froggy--

P.S. Use a grinder to cut the chain. Much easier than the pin breaker.

I alway use a rivet master link. I have never trusted a clip. But on that note I do know guys that run the clips and have no problems like some said in a prior post you would need to check it every time before you ride Bro to make sure that every thing is A OK.

I've had a clip on my Ninja since I changed the chain about 3K miles ago. Went down to the spring bash last year, and all the way back, no problems. As much of a bitch as that clip was to get on my personal opinion is that it ain't coming off on it's own.

Maybe the majority of failed clips are from improper installation? Just my NSHO.

Back