Clear hump for nos display

rickneuhaus

Registered
Hello World,

Looking for anyone who knows of a clear hump for my black busa (06).
Thinking about getting a clear hump and wiring in some pots for cruise night when I'm not dragging it.

Welcome to the oRg, I am sure someone will chime in soon that can help you out. :welcome:

Might be something like gator glass. I have seen cut outs on humps but not a clear one. Cool idea.

And welcome
Posted via Mobile Device

Might be something like gator glass. I have seen cut outs on humps but not a clear one. Cool idea.

And welcome
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, I was thinking since I've got the black ed. I would black out the brackets, frost the edges of the hump with black, and open it up into some good bright contrast colors for the led's :-)

Thank you for the welcome as well.

Welcome to the Org. And I agree--that's a great idea. What if it was tinted to "hide" it during the day, and then lit up from the inside at night to show it off? You ought to find a manufacturer and sell that idea.

Welcome to the Org. And I agree--that's a great idea. What if it was tinted to "hide" it during the day, and then lit up from the inside at night to show it off? You ought to find a manufacturer and sell that idea.

hmmm, would need to find a UV interactive material that's clear coat on the outer layer (inner layer would get less UV penetration and might not be blacked out all through). I've been working on a thesis as a side project in research development before I started college on this (except integrated in car windshields) to reduce material breakdown in a vehicle as well as a heat reducer for those warm sunny days. Thus far it's.....not cheap. van der waals interactions, bio materials, consistent current flow (so your windows can be seen through when you start your engine) and plenty more.

Perhaps it's time to keep pushing that; but for now a quick solution would be swell.

I believe this could be done using a vacuum forming process, the material would be polycarbonate. (same process & material that are used on helmet shields and windscreens)

I've been modding busa's for 9 years and haven't heard of that , but it would be cool

I think... just maybe? Photochromatic coating on the inside of the hump, with a clear uv blocking coat on the outside (so the UV from the sun won't react with the inside and darken it) with a UV lighting system on the inside would do great.... run the black light on the inside of the hump wired to turn on while your bike is on. Have an SPCO/SPTT for switch (with a stable off position in the center) so you have (position 1) UV light wired to turn on when the bike turns on so the hump is polarized and black; (position 2) open so you just have the clear hump; and position 3 to throw the switch off the blacklight and onto the LED pots.

Prepping the wiring now and contacting a company. Perhaps I can get this set up for a first order mass batch for the site :beerchug:

or if you'd like to show off your bottle, mount it somewhere other than the hump.

There is a company that makes clear fairings for show only.
Wonder if they make or could make you a hump?

Contacted a manufacturer about the clear plexi for the hump. trying to contact A friend who works in a chemical plant who might be able to grab a deal for batch processing to soak the inside of the hump in photochromatic solution so it penetrates the material deeper (and thus a darker, more evenly tinted inside). I'm also asking around for some busted humps from friends to start designing a pre-made mold that would fit directly into the stock plastic tray so you could just slide it in with quick connect wiring already setup. planning on getting the inside lined with a single UV CCFL (higher UV output so it tints almost instantly and less strain on the battery...always a plus).

also - while on the phone with the company I was thinking how cool it would be to have a full body cowling like this, but with pitting on the inside of the glass so you could use LED's to illuminate every inch of the panels, and this change your bike whatever color you wanted.

of course, then you're getting into regulation issues and yada yada.

When I see someone with a dark, tinted helmet screen during a normal day, it's difficult to see their face. If you put a small light inside the helmet at night, you'd be able to see their face. That's what I was thinking of with the hump.

But, I really like the idea of clear plastic panels that change the color of the bike--maybe with some embedded fiber optics? Then, custom "paint" would be a simple matter of programming the color--like programming your power commander.

I have seen this on a bike and the guy told me it was done with Gator Glass. Is there someone around you does Gator GLass but it was clear it wasn't darken when the sun.

I have seen this on a bike and the guy told me it was done with Gator Glass. Is there someone around you does Gator GLass but it was clear it wasn't darken when the sun.

I already got it, stage 2 of photo-chromatic coating is ...being worked out (financially <--- college kid; not enough Ramen eating lately). everything else is being worked out. got the clear coat outer layering set up, just waiting to frost the edges.

ps: sorry for the delay, school and working on the homemade halo kit and angel eye air intakes.

Back