Cleaning Your Bike

The honeymoon's over for me. I might pay someone twice a year to detail it. Other than that I'd rather spend time riding it than washing it.

The honeymoon's over for me. I might pay someone twice a year to detail it. Other than that I'd rather spend time riding it than washing it.
+1.

Whenever I do wash it, I use a couple of spray bottles and tons of cotton rags/towels. Anything particularly greasy, I use a shot of 50% Simple Green. Meguir's Quick Wax if I'm in the mood for some shiny.

When I do an oil change, I take off both fairings and clean 'em out really well, inside and out while their off the bike. Really easy to clean that way.

--Wag--

If you ride really fast the dirt gets blown off...
smile.gif

I keep it clean using the fantastic Honda Pro Cleaner... That stuff is absolutely amazing and i aint exagerating... It will even clean chain grease on the swingarm and plastics with no problem.

It cleans and polishes any part of the bike, i even clean my wheels with it. When the bike is really dirty tough, i use Mr.Clean car wash system...

I swear, if you havent tried that Honda stuff yet, go to a Honda dealer today you'll thank me!!!
+1
+2 this stuff rocks and is so easy...

Mr Clean washing system with Meguir's quick detailer pre/post rides. When waxing I've been using Mothers.

Wash with Dawn dishwashing soap to get all the grime off (including previous wax coats) and then use Zaino to bring out the beauty!  It may seem like your making a potion, but it works very well!  The Z6/Z8 is great stuff, but make sure to use the 100% American-made cotton towels!  You won't be sorry!
if i remember correctly, dawn, or any other dish soap for that matter, is not good for the clear coat.
Hasn't bothered mine and I wash it quite a bit.

OK kids, here's the real deal on this topic. Take it from a guy who has been riding sports bikes longer than most of you have been out of the womb (1970). First step, NEVER allow your bike to get dirty in the first place, no rain, no dirt/gravel road riding, etc.. Upon return from ever ride, I gently wash the bugs, etc, from the plastics and windscreen with a wash cloth and luke warm water. Gently dry with a turkish towel to prenvent scratching. NEVER allow anything to touch your tank or plastics! With this soaked down cloth, start at the top and work down to wiping down the rims. Once a week, it's a good waxing using Meguiars clear coat safe wax, I've tried it all and this cheap stuff from Wally's World works best of all, IMO. Plexuis for the windscreen. Go over all hoses and inner fairing pieces with 2001 plastic/rubber treatment (bright green plastci bottle). Needless to say, don't spray this stuff on your tires! I actually wash my bikes maybe once in any given year, they don't need it with this TLC from me that they get. My busa looks better than the day she came home from the dealers.

I finally gave up trying to get to all the odd places and started taking mine to the local carwash and using a pressure washer. It does a damn fine job, however I did end up bending some radiator fins, which I plan on combing back out. I've been thinking of trying this Honda stuff, heard alot of good things about it. Also, I try and make sure to lube my chain after washing. Any reasons anyone know "specifically" why not to use a pressue washer? I've had no ill effects except for the radiator.

i'm in the group of people who would rather spend the hour riding than washing/waxing.....I try and wash her every weekend but don't always get to it. i use dawn for soap and Meguiars wax.

I finally gave up trying to get to all the odd places and started taking mine to the local carwash and using a pressure washer. It does a damn fine job, however I did end up bending some radiator fins, which I plan on combing back out. I've been thinking of trying this Honda stuff, heard alot of good things about it. Also, I try and make sure to lube my chain after washing. Any reasons anyone know "specifically" why not to use a pressue washer? I've had no ill effects except for the radiator.
If you are not careful you can peel the graphics from the fairings. It can also pull paint off if there is a chip. As I say, if your not careful.

Even Zaino advises not making a habit of washing your car with Dawn and should only be used like once a year to remove all waxes, but there are better ways to do it even for zaino They now have Zaino Fusion - Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover...Safely removes minor scratches, swirls, oxidation, wax buildup and other blemishes
any paint cleaner will remove old waxes

I use Meguires car wash for soap, and their wax also. I lube the chain REAL good before washes. and then ride it to sling it off, and then degrease all that mess, and then I use a leaf blower to blow dry, and then use a terry cloth towel for the final dry.
In between washes, I wet a towel and wipe behind with a dry one to get the bugs and dust off. And the Honda stuff works good too. I think Suk and Kaw. make the same stuff with there name on the can too.

I ride fast in the rain ... Cleans the bike and the gear! I hear the wife uses soap, water and occasionally wax on it though
wink.gif

The Honda cleaner/Polisher is the best stuff I have ever come across. It even takes small scratches out of the wind screen. I use car wash soap and water just like everyone else, but after words and inbetween washes, I use a lot of the Honda cleaner/Polisher. That stuff is amazing.

Back