Cleaning the chain for the first time

Well I just cleaned my chain with WD-40 and it cleaned up great. It was very easy to do. When I was finished, I sprayed Dupont Teflon lubricant and I couldnt see myself using any other product at this point. This stuff sticks like glue and nothing sticks to it. Here is a pic of the finished product.

Looking great! :thumbsup:

I just use some regular old Gasoline, some soapy water to rinse and a toothbrush. Whatever you use, DO NOT have the bike on or in gear when you clean the chain

Really BBB08, gasoline is the last thing you want to use on your chain! It will destroy the 'O' rings and shorten the life of your chain. Gasoline is one thing that should never be used as a solvent. I have in the past used white gas (Coleman) to soak clutch plates and such in the past because it has none of the harmful additives that pump gas has (MTBE).

.....I see that some are using kerosene but just sound like a mess waiting to happen. If that's what it's going to take than that's ok but just want some cleaning options.

I noticed a bunch of o-rings bust after I used WD-40 on a chain. I don't know if the WD was the culprit or if I scubbed too hard but a chain is too much of an expensive PITA to change. Why take chances?

I only use the recommended kerosene and a rag then wipe dry with a dry rag. If I were to use a brush, i would try something gentler than a tooth brush. An artists boar hair brush with 1" bristles might be a good tool.

i would agree, don't use a stiff brush to clean the chain, and i have never used wd40 on it, just kerosene. I think wd40 can have a tendency to wear out/dry rot o-rings after it dries and evaporates. I used just kerosene to clean the chain on my 04 750 and after 11k miles the chain had a bunch of broken o-rings. I think this was mainly bc i would use a rag and shove the tip through each link, pulling the rag up and down through the links to clean the chain, which i think tore the o-rings after a while. Now on the busa, i just soak it with a spray bottle of kerosene a few times until it washes all the crud off, then wipe it with a rag

i......I think this was mainly bc i would use a rag and shove the tip through each link, pulling the rag up and down through the links to clean the chain, which i think tore the o-rings after a while.

Sounds like the same treatment I did on the 14's chain. Chain flossing is definitely overdoing it. There are 18,000 miles on that chain now. I've kept it well lubed but It's time to change before it goes SNAP on me. I'm going easier with cleaning on the busa chain and hopefully the o-rings will hold up longer.

I use kerosene as recommended in the owners manual. Every other time I clean the chain, I also take off the front sprocket cover and clean the sprocket and clutch rod. It gets filthy in there.

As you know I been cleaning my chain with WD-40 and lubing it with Dupont Teflon lubricant. With that said, and not to beat a dead horse, I took it out tonight on I-95 after the lube job and brought her up to 165MPH for about a minute and backed it down. When I got home I just wanted to see the rear wheel and low and behold, not one spit of grease/lube on the wheel. Wouldnt think of using any other product.
Cheers

Back