Cleaning the chain for the first time

:rulez:
Heli bars will make a huge difference Rick, even if it is only a little bit over and inch closer and higher(it's all you'll ever need)..so I highly recommend them, if your wrists are sore from leaning on them. Try also to sit in such a way that you do not put all your weight forward and onto your arms and hands and this should actually get to a point where there is no detectable pressure on your wrists in normal riding.
Any additional chain-lube info can be easily gained from utube/the net. Go sparingly with the kero and wd40 even though neither will actually hurt the chain...more like your garage floor, the rest of the bike such as the chassis wheel and tyre...you don't need to lube those! Frankly, I would only use wd40 if I've been riding in the rain but if you like spraying that stuff, it's your call. Lots of debate on the net about the effect of wd40 as well...so have fun and don't stress.

Otto, Great info, and I did order the Heli bars tonight and hopefully they will help as you said. Just need something to relieve some of the pressure off my hands. It's just hard to believe the 1-5/8" will make that big of a difference. I hope so. As far as the chain goes, I think I have a handle on that, it's not rocket science, just trying to prevent a mess. I did it years ago on my 01 Busa just havent done it in a while, owning shaft and belt drives on my past bikes (13).

Thanks for all the info and will look forward changing out the bars as soon as I get them.

Regards,Rick

I just use some regular old Gasoline, some soapy water to rinse and a toothbrush. Whatever you use, DO NOT have the bike on or in gear when you clean the chain

Soapy water(& HP water hose) and gas are the 3 things I have NEVER used...maybe I should try, around the same time I take up smoking again perhaps! Nothing like a bit of excitement if the entire garage goes KABOOM! I bet the only thing that will survive is the CHAIN!

Big can of WD40 in one hand and a towel in the other . Hold towel in one hand in your palm cradling chain and spray the crap out of it with the WD. Slowly turn wheel WITH ENGINE OFF to get to another foot or so of chain . After it's been blasted clean by the WD wipe it off and let the rest evaporate for a while and then use the Repsol .
The Repsol is gonna fling though I think if it's same stuff I used ?
Chain Wax or Dupont Teflon will work and not fling . Ride bike for a few mins to get it warm bring it back and spray while turning the wheel AGAIN WITH ENGINE OFF !
Let it set and your good to go .
There are a few threads here of ones who got finger caught in sprocket with engine on and lost a piece so be careful !

I will be pissed if I spend all that time on cleaning then put Repsol on and it flings. I think I will go choke someone who sold it to me (lol)

lol ive heard repsol flings. go with the dupont. its too highly recommended by people. I just got back into town today and it rained on me. you know what that means! the bike gets a bath and a chain cleaning! heading to lowes before the weekend and picking up some dupont lube and some pledge so he how that works on cleaning the bike

Heres what the book says;
manual.jpg

How come some are using WD-40 and other solvents when the manual says to use kerosene only?
manual.jpg

manual.jpg

Found this after searching around the various M/C forums...:whistle:

"Thank you for contacting WD-40 Company with regards to using WD-40 on o-rings. WD-40 is a multi-purpose light lubricating oil, which will displace water and moisture from the chain. The "WD" stands for water displacement and acts as a rust preventative on any metal surface. WD-40 will not dry out the rubber o-rings. We have found no visible effects on the surface of rubber and o-rings. Certain types of rubber will swell under prolonged immersion in WD-40 (this refers to long soaking and not just a spray).

WD-40 is also a cleaner, which will remove grime, dirt, tape, bumper stickers and oil. It is possible that if there is a special lubricant in the o-rings, WD-40 could act as a cleaner and remove that oil. The special lubricant would be replaced with WD-40. We are sure there are superior heavy-duty chain lubes on the market. There are several people who recommend using WD-40 on their chains. Perhaps some experimenting with WD-40, as a water remover and rust preventative followed by a heavier chain lube would fit your needs. The bottom line is WD-40 will not harm your o-rings, but it could remove a lubricant that was previously applied to the chain.

We recommend you only spray the area near the wheels, moving parts and other areas you want to clean off. We do not recommend spraying on the manifold or exhaust pipes. Please never spray WD-40 on a hot bike.
Thank you again for contacting WD-40 Company. Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
Best regards,
Eva Zabowski
WD-40 Customer Service"

I use the Simple Solutions Grunge Brush.

It works wonders. It is a three-sided brush, that is adjustable for different chain sizes (i.e. you can use it on your bicycle chain, too). It cleans three sides of your chain at once. It is really effective, and and great for that black grime that collects over time... That and some Simple Green will make your chain shine in no time!

Just spray the simple green on the chain, brush with the grunge brush. Rotate wheel to get more chain, repeat. You can use the other end of the brush to clean your sprocket as well. After all this is done, clean the chain/sprocket off with water and let it dry. then spray your preferred chain lube and you are done!

Last edited:
RE; WD40.
It will go onto anything and it's useful after a soaking in the rain,(otherwise just use it for the FUN factor...)
Good for your chain in this case or and perhaps your ipod/discman which you had in your denim pants!

There is NO evidence that WD40 harms the O rings. BUT, IF some bychance slips past the O ring(s) it will also dissolve the previously sealed lubricant/grease etc. There IS evidence of this taking place and the inside, where the lube used to be sealed in, now devoid of the stuff will rust (actually observed& photographed) and THAT is not a pretty sight. However, it does take a pretty suspect/faulty O ring situation for this to happen, but it does happen because presumably, no manufacturing process can be 100% fail-safe. Kero, as noted by the handbook, is the preferred option as it also does a similar thing but perhaps less likely to penetrate past the O rings.
It's all completely WORRY-FREE if it never rained, or you never ride in the rain.
RE; grunge brushes and the like, you have to allow the grunge to build up in the first place! Far better to NOT let this happen, by NOT neglecting some regular chain maintenance...(= approx 3-5 min every 500mls)

Well I just cleaned my chain with WD-40 and it cleaned up great. It was very easy to do. When I was finished, I sprayed Dupont Teflon lubricant and I couldnt see myself using any other product at this point. This stuff sticks like glue and nothing sticks to it. Here is a pic of the finished product.

DSC00523.JPG

DSC00524.JPG

DSC00527.JPG

KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THE CHAIN AND SPROCKET.... manually turn the rear wheel..... someone once posted a very painful lesson, getting a finger between the chain and sprocket. Ouch!

Well I just cleaned my chain with WD-40 and it cleaned up great. It was very easy to do. When I was finished, I sprayed Dupont Teflon lubricant and I couldnt see myself using any other product at this point. This stuff sticks like glue and nothing sticks to it. Here is a pic of the finished product.

Do you make house calls? I have only seen one busa that clean.... had to go to Carson City to see it...:laugh:

KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THE CHAIN AND SPROCKET.... manually turn the rear wheel..... someone once posted a very painful lesson, getting a finger between the chain and sprocket. Ouch!

I know what you mean. I manually clean it with WD-40, wipe it and then started it up on lift and ran it up to spin off the excess, rewiped and lube. Piece of cake job!

Thanks for the Safety concern, much appreciated

Last edited:
She looks very nice Rick, very nice. That is what my chain looks like now. I use WD-40 sprayed into a rag, never sprayed on the chain. I also just started using the Dupont chain wax and its amazing. The only thing I had on my tail after that was rubber powder from the tires, no messy lube slung everywhere. :laugh:

She looks very nice Rick, very nice. That is what my chain looks like now. I use WD-40 sprayed into a rag, never sprayed on the chain. I also just started using the Dupont chain wax and its amazing. The only thing I had on my tail after that was rubber powder from the tires, no messy lube slung everywhere. :laugh:

Thanks,

Yes, that's what I did as well (sprayed WD into a rag)

Always nice when you can find a product that works as advertised

Back