will cleaning the chain with kerosene too often damage it?

hemi

Registered
I know the owners manual suggests kerosene to clean the chain, which i have always used to do so. Would cleaning it too often with kerosene harm the o-rings at all. I have been a little obsessed lately with keeping the chain clean, and have been cleaning it about every few hundred miles. I put the bike on the stand and soak the chain a few times with a spray bottle of kerosene, then wipe it with a clean rag

The purpose of using the kerosene is because it will not damage the "O" rings, you just need to make sure you don't forget to lube the chain again once you are done. When you get done with the chain would you like to come dust my house? :whistle:

Don't think so. I think I saw someone here saying it was oil based. There's better things to do than compulsively cleaning the chain though...like...riding :rofl:

I wouldn't use kerosene more than once a month for regular road use. It is a solvent with some lubricity, but still a solvent.

Relax Hemi,
Kero will not harm any part of your chain. It is really only needed if you ride in the rain and dirt and collect loads of muck on the chassis and chain. If you are cleaning regularly as you say, just do what the professionals do, which is to use a thick gear-oil, put on a cloth to form a small pool in the cup of your hand and run that through the chain manually, by turning the back wheel (with chain traveling away from the back sprocket). This will actually CLEAN your chain as well as lubricate it to perfection. Rub it in and wipe off the excess. Your chain will never look better! Alternatively, Dupont in a can is EXCELLENT. I don't even use Kero because my chain stays clean due to never riding in the rain.

Reactions: Zee
thanks, i have a little bit of ocd problem when it comes to cleaning/working on the bike. That's why i normally end up cleaning the chain, i always have to be working on something, and when the bike is spotless, i go to the chain:laugh:. Just installed my full system brocks last week, maybe i'll remove it to polish the header pipes, they might have gotten a little dusty in the few hundred miles i've had on them so far:rofl:

WD-40 cleans the chain really well.

IMG_6885.jpg

The purpose of using the kerosene is because it will not damage the "O" rings, you just need to make sure you don't forget to lube the chain again once you are done. When you get done with the chain would you like to come dust my house? :whistle:

+1

I wouldn't use kerosene more than once a month for regular road use. It is a solvent with some lubricity, but still a solvent.

I agree to some extent.

#1 I would stop spraying it on with a bottle and just start applying it on with a rag. Run the chain through the dampened rag and that should work pretty well for you as well without saturating it w/ a spray bottle.

Kerosene,,is oil based and will not harm the chain,,The only objection I have to as said above about just wipeing it on with a rag is ,,you do need to get the chain saturated to lube and get all the grit from in between the tight areas ,crevises and o- rings,,Ive read where alot og guys,,such as the picture above,,let it soak to allow all the inner dirt to get out,,,so IMO a rag doesnt cut it,,BUT,,the protocol says to wipe it down witha rag useing kerosene,,,,so ,,with that I shoot myself in the foot ,,but it makes sense,,I lube the chain as instructed ,about every 600,,I still have the factory chain,,excellant shape ,,on setting 3 on the swingarm,,,It may be wastefull to some,,but a can of [sp }maximas? chain wax,,10 bucks a pop,,,But it not only waxes the chain ,,but to continue to rotate the chain,and spraying it heavy { half can] and it cleans it beautifull,,,i watch the grime wash away,,,so I waste a can of lube,,but it does both jobs and saves me time,,,everyone is different,,so to each his own,,I wont wack a guy on how he cleans his chain or what he uses unless,,he trys to tell me[as 1 guy did] its ok to use gas to clean ,then lube,,,,,,,,I used to use the belray,,nonsling,,,but it slings off anything over 100mph,,no matter how long you leave it on,,and it gets all over the rim,,,,letting it set for a hr b4 rideing didnt keep it on ,,but my hats off to the chain wax,,and you can even hear it ,that its still on,,,makes that 'Whats wrong with my bike noise LOL "..

Soak it in kerosene and in the winter months you can light the chain on fire and it will burn slowly keeping you toasty while you ride.

• Haha
No Kerosene will not damage the chain. Try using Profi dry lube to lubricate the chain. It is a ptfe based lubricant and will keep your chain looking clean because there is nothing for the crud to stick to. After 7500 miles my chain is still looking like new.

Back