Cleaning the chain for the first time

Rick Ekstrom

Registered
Getting ready to do the first service soon. Just havent had time to run up the miles yet. Anyway, I want to clean the chain and get rid if the sticky **** they currently have on and put some Repsol chain lube on.

My question is how and what should I clean the chain with that wont make a total mess on the rim and sprocket?

I see that some are using kerosene but just sound like a mess waiting to happen. If that's what it's going to take than that's ok but just want some cleaning options.

Thanks guys,
Rick

ive heard WD40 is good and recommended on alot of threads on here. Personally havent used it. I just used a gas based cleaner right now and its ok, nothing special

Kerosene is a good cleaner because it is oil based. It is cheap and easy to use. I throw an old towel across my rim, clean my chain a little at time with a tooth brush and then wipe the chain down with another towel. After I get the whole chain clean, I lube it and then clean my wheel with WD-40. I will be going to a cleaner(less fling) lube next time I buy, but that is how I do mine.

If the chain is still reasonably new, this should be easy. Put the rear wheel on a stand. Use a rag and soak it in gear oil or motor oil. To do this, simply pour some into your hand (with the rag in it) to form a small "puddle" in the hand. Put this against the chain on the LOWER rung with your LH and move the rear wheel with your RH...reverse direction to avoid fingers getting chewed up against the rear sprocket(!)...
The motor oil/gear oil will act as a cleaning agent as you rub the chain, applying a small amount of pressure as the chain slides through your fingers. Go around about twice and that should be enough to get just about all the gunk off the chain...at this point it should look almost gleaming and if you are worried about the garage floor, have a piece of paper/cardboard on the ground beforehand. There ought to be almost zero drip from chain/rag onto the floor.
This completes the cleaning of the chain process. If you want MORE of s clean, you can use a rag dipped in kerosene and wipe off the excess. Also using a pair of rubber gloves will keep your own hands getting messed up.
By now, after a rub, the chain should be ready for your to apply the chain lube. This is IF you consider that you must spray something on such as Du Pont's chain lube with teflon-wax...which has no fling and dries very quickly.
Spray the bottom rung of the chain, careful not to spray the whole chassis and wheel as well as the tyre!
Job done!
For a LOT of professionals, they simply use the gear/motor oil and apply to the chain and wipe off excess and THAT's IT! VERY good results also done this way.
Some people use WD40 to start with the initial cleanup, if you have been in the rain. Up to you but I have never really needed to do that.
Do all of this, after coming home from a ride, rather than when the chain is stone cold.

I pulled off the back wheel and cut the top off a kerosene container. I just dropped the chain in the container. I waited an hour or so and then rotated the chain to drop the rest in. It turned out like new. Then I used Chain Wax sparingly. No gunk flies off now.

I pulled off the back wheel and cut the top off a kerosene container. I just dropped the chain in the container. I waited an hour or so and then rotated the chain to drop the rest in. It turned out like new. Then I used Chain Wax sparingly. No gunk flies off now.

soaking the chain in kerosene cant be too good .. . . . . ???

Kerosene will be the cheapest and one of the best things you can use to clean the chain with. A one quart jar of keresene will last a long, long time.

I use Maxim chain wax, but plan on trying the new Dupont Dry lube.

To minimize sling off, wipe the chain with a clean rag after you lube it (with the lube of your choice) has set up for about 15-20 minutes.

Taking the wheel off (jps) is almost unheard of, if all you want to do is clean the chain. If you do motorcross with your Hayabusa, that might change the equation somewhat. Then you might want to dip the entire bike in a tub of kerosene!
The OEM chain is O ring sealed and as your bike is NEW, even the handbook would say check and lube at 1000km intervals...basically anything between 700-1000km ought to be plenty good as it's not as though the chain "dries out"...not modern chains anyhow.
The chain "thing" can get rather overly obsessive/compulsive. But if you enjoy spending hours doing such things, by all means, take the wheel(s) off and do whatever you feel like doing to them including giving them a kerosene bath.

Taking the wheel off (jps) is almost unheard of, if all you want to do is clean the chain. If you do motorcross with your Hayabusa, that might change the equation somewhat. Then you might want to dip the entire bike in a tub of kerosene!
The OEM chain is O ring sealed and as your bike is NEW, even the handbook would say check and lube at 1000km intervals...basically anything between 700-1000km ought to be plenty good as it's not as though the chain "dries out"...not modern chains anyhow.
The chain "thing" can get rather overly obsessive/compulsive. But if you enjoy spending hours doing such things, by all means, take the wheel(s) off and do whatever you feel like doing to them including giving them a kerosene bath.

I took the wheel off to put on one with a sticky tire to drag race. It just so happened the chain was lying there and it had attracted all kinds of dirt on that OEM lithium grease. I have some nice BST rims that I didn't want to fling grease all over, so I cleaned it good and put chain wax on which doesn't fling much. I don't plan on bathing the chain in kerosene every 3K miles, but it wouldn't hurt anything if I had OCD and did do it :)

Getting ready to do the first service soon. Just havent had time to run up the miles yet. Anyway, I want to clean the chain and get rid if the sticky **** they currently have on and put some Repsol chain lube on.

My question is how and what should I clean the chain with that wont make a total mess on the rim and sprocket?

I see that some are using kerosene but just sound like a mess waiting to happen. If that's what it's going to take than that's ok but just want some cleaning options.

Thanks guys,
Rick

Let me know how well the Repsol chain lube works...

Thanks for all of your suggestions, Sounds like kerosene is the way to go by just dipping a paint brush in it and apply to chain as I rotate and then wipe off.

I have about 200 miles to go before the 600 mile service that I plan on doing myself and that's when I will clean and lube the chain.

I went to Suzuki and the parts guy swears by Repsol so I will give that a try and see how it stays on. Ive always used Chain Wax and was very pleased with that. My last bike with a chain was a 2001 Busa and just forgot how I cleaned it back then,

I know some of you guys are using Dupont with great success but I had already purchased the Repsol so I will see what happens

Again, thanks for all of your comments, much appreciated.

Next thing to get is some Heli-bars, my hands are killing me. (must be old age thing i guess) lol

Be careful cleaning that chain, Solvents could wash the lube from around the pins and rollers so don't soak it, just some WD40 on a rag works well and when new that wax stuff may need some brake cleaner on the RAG to help get it all off. DuPont makes some dry lube that won't sling off. (it is a spray) IMO...

Be careful cleaning that chain, Solvents could wash the lube from around the pins and rollers so don't soak it, just some WD40 on a rag works well and when new that wax stuff may need some brake cleaner on the RAG to help get it all off. DuPont makes some dry lube that won't sling off. (it is a spray) IMO...

Heres what the book says;
manual.jpg

Big can of WD40 in one hand and a towel in the other . Hold towel in one hand in your palm cradling chain and spray the crap out of it with the WD. Slowly turn wheel WITH ENGINE OFF to get to another foot or so of chain . After it's been blasted clean by the WD wipe it off and let the rest evaporate for a while and then use the Repsol .
The Repsol is gonna fling though I think if it's same stuff I used ?
Chain Wax or Dupont Teflon will work and not fling . Ride bike for a few mins to get it warm bring it back and spray while turning the wheel AGAIN WITH ENGINE OFF !
Let it set and your good to go .
There are a few threads here of ones who got finger caught in sprocket with engine on and lost a piece so be careful !

Kerosene is a good cleaner because it is oil based. It is cheap and easy to use. I throw an old towel across my rim, clean my chain a little at time with a tooth brush and then wipe the chain down with another towel. After I get the whole chain clean, I lube it and then clean my wheel with WD-40. I will be going to a cleaner(less fling) lube next time I buy, but that is how I do mine.

:werd:

Heli bars will make a huge difference Rick, even if it is only a little bit over and inch closer and higher(it's all you'll ever need)..so I highly recommend them, if your wrists are sore from leaning on them. Try also to sit in such a way that you do not put all your weight forward and onto your arms and hands and this should actually get to a point where there is no detectable pressure on your wrists in normal riding.
Any additional chain-lube info can be easily gained from utube/the net. Go sparingly with the kero and wd40 even though neither will actually hurt the chain...more like your garage floor, the rest of the bike such as the chassis wheel and tyre...you don't need to lube those! Frankly, I would only use wd40 if I've been riding in the rain but if you like spraying that stuff, it's your call. Lots of debate on the net about the effect of wd40 as well...so have fun and don't stress.

Back