Cleaning chain with WD40? Bad or Ok?

I thought WD-40 was never to be used as a lube as it displaces water but has no luberacating values?
I don't think the EPA would like me using a fuel oil for anything other than a fuel. :laugh: :poke:

Hello all,

I was wondering if WD40 is acceptable for cleaning the chain, as it says on the container it can be used for chains. The container also notes it is a lubricant as well as prevents rusting and corrosion.

Any thoughts?

V/R

Rob

Lots of stuff posted regarding cleaning and lubricating the chain, use the search function and you can see the history. Personally, I use nothing but kerosene and a high quality chain lube....just as the chain manufacturer and Suzuki recommends.

:thumbsup:

Its been my experience that if you just let it get real dirty then ride it over to TWOTONEVERTS house he cant handle it and will clean it for you. :whistle:

Let me know when the line starts. :laugh:

I will wipe off my chain with wd40, and lube with chain wax between major cleaning, when I take off the rear wheel and use kerosene, a parts brush, and a plastic tub to clean the chain good. My stock chain went almost 30K miles before I installed the EKZZZ chain. I'm still on the original front and rear sprocket, and they look brand new with no visable wear, and my chain never goes out of adjustment. wd40 has not seemed to hurt mine.:whistle:

I will wipe off my chain with wd40, and lube with chain wax between major cleaning, when I take off the rear wheel and use kerosene, a parts brush, and a plastic tub to clean the chain good. My stock chain went almost 30K miles before I installed the EKZZZ chain. I'm still on the original front and rear sprocket, and they look brand new with no visable wear, and my chain never goes out of adjustment. wd40 has not seemed to hurt mine.:whistle:

Amazing. That is an impressive maintenance.
Posted via Mobile Device

I ride a Kan of Tuna ( katana) and i clean the chain with WD40 . Basically i come back after a ride, that way the chain is nice and hot. I soak it down with the WD40. I wait a few minuites so it really works its way in there and then i take a soft bristle brush and clean all four sides of the chain as im turing the rear tire. THen i take a rag and wrap my hand around the chain with the rags and wipe off as im turning the rear wheel. You can do this a few times and you will find everytime you will take more and more dirt off. It will end up looking shiny like a mirror when you are done .

Then, Use a good chain lube and your done. you can clean sprockets while your at it too. I have always done this and had no problems, and the chain always looks perfect.

You can watch my youtube vid , there is a part i do a closeup and you can see how clean it is.
- 99Katana Walkaround[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
kero is the way to go, the spray bottle idea is great, also remember guys to lube your chain when it is hot that way the lube can get to the smallest of cracks...

+1

I think im gonna start doing that.

I hold a rag under a section of chain and force the Kerosene on and into that section with the spray bottle. Go to the next section and wipe as you go. Go around about 3 times, and most of the gunk is gone. Any extra left I scrub off with an old Firm toothbrush.
I don't want to use too stiff of a brush, to hurt the O-Rings.
Let it dry well and then a short quick ride to warm it up and re-lube with Bel Ray.

like the one dude said, its at Walmart in the camping lantern section....blue cylindrical jug. Thats where I got mine yesterday. Used that, my $39 Harbor Freight rear stand(that kicks all kinds of ass, and Motorex 622 chain lube & chain now looks GREAT
Posted via Mobile Device

I spray it on my chain almost after every ride or at least 4 times a week during riding season, on sunday I spray it on and then lube it with oil.

My 06 has over 37000 miles on the stock chain.

WD-40 is bad for cleaning unless maybe these guys saying they spray a little on a rag and wipe the side plates... not sure about the bearing senario because wd-40 is a rust preventer so that was a bad example I think, the reason WD-40 is bad for OUR chains is because of the O-ring/X-ring/Z-ring, it is the rubber they can be made out of that the WD-40 is bad for, Not the metal. Use Kerosene or a O/x ring specific cleaner and lube.

So for good care and good chain life with least power lose through chain friction do NOT spray WD-40 on your chain. use the proper cleaner and lube, and frequency is based on riding conditions in your area and how you ride.

also it is better to do your chain maintenance after a good ride so that the chain is warmed up and the lube can set in better.

and at 37,000 it is probably streched to the limit and will snap the next time you get near the tinsel strength of a worn chain possibly causing a wreck when it breaks and can lock up the rear end like say exiting a corner on the throttle.

Chains are not to be replaced only after failure. :whistle:

Mike1180 hit the nail on the head... exactly how to do it :thumbsup:

Last edited:
WD-40 is def bad for o-rings as WD actually has oil which will deteriorate the o-rings. i ride till chain is hot, clean with a rag soaked in kero, them spray liberally with wax.

Back