Cleaning chain with WD40? Bad or Ok?

V8N3T

More mods plz..
Donating Member
Registered
Hello all,

I was wondering if WD40 is acceptable for cleaning the chain, as it says on the container it can be used for chains. The container also notes it is a lubricant as well as prevents rusting and corrosion.

Any thoughts?

V/R

Rob

Suzuki recommends Kerosene.
It is cheaper than WD40.
Get a pump spray bottle from Home Depot and use what they recommend. JMO

Kerosene is the best way. I dont use WD-40 except on my wheels and swing arm.

I use it all the time and it works great. But I like the kero in a spray bottle idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

I just wanted to share with everyone some information I read.

WD40 is a great cleaning agent, yet the problem is that it is so thin it can get to the O-rings or X-rings.

There was a picture taken from a ball bearing being used with WD40 for one year, and it was rusted and destroyed. This research was done by an aeronautical engineer. What WD40 can be used for, is cleaning of the left, right, top and bottom of the chain. You can spray it on a rag, and use it to clean your chain.

The use of WD40 which is NOT recommended is spraying it on the chain, and allowing the excess to seep into the crevices. I have read that you CAN use WD40 (lightly) for dirt and grime cleaning. After the cleaning is completed, the use of a chain wax or lube is required.

After spraying the wax or lube, and rotating the chain to get it into the O-rings or X-rings; you can then wipe off all the excess that will sling up on your bike. The reason for this is the excess will not continue to work its way into the O-rings or X-rings, it will be thrown from the chain or not rolled back into the chain.

Everything that I am mentioning here is pertaining to motorcycles, not dirt
bikes.

V/R

Rob

I spray wD40 on a rag and wipe off the plates never on the 0-rings. Whatevery you use don't cram dirt in to the 0-rings.

I spray wD40 on a rag and wipe off the plates never on the 0-rings. Whatevery you use don't cram dirt in to the 0-rings.
+1 works like a champ on a rag... the upside is a lot of guys do not put a lot of miles on their bikes (say under 4K a year) so really does not matter much.. I have to service my chain a couple times a month (500-700 miles a week) and after buying a chain at 14K, I take better care of the thing now..

+1 works like a champ on a rag... the upside is a lot of guys do not put a lot of miles on their bikes (say under 4K a year) so really does not matter much.. I have to service my chain a couple times a month (500-700 miles a week) and after buying a chain at 14K, I take better care of the thing now..

1000 to 1400 miles is taking better care of it? I lube mine every week 400 to 500 miles, clean and lube every other.

1000 to 1400 miles is taking better care of it? I lube mine every week 400 to 500 miles, clean and lube every other.
yup... I keep it lubed every week but cleaning is only twice a month.. I ran the OE chain on monthly service... when riding the bike hard (track or MnG's where we pound on them) I lube it daily.. just makes a mess of my polished wheels..

I just wanted to share with everyone some information I read.

WD40 is a great cleaning agent, yet the problem is that it is so thin it can get to the O-rings or X-rings.

There was a picture taken from a ball bearing being used with WD40 for one year, and it was rusted and destroyed. This research was done by an aeronautical engineer. What WD40 can be used for, is cleaning of the left, right, top and bottom of the chain. You can spray it on a rag, and use it to clean your chain.

The use of WD40 which is NOT recommended is spraying it on the chain, and allowing the excess to seep into the crevices. I have read that you CAN use WD40 (lightly) for dirt and grime cleaning. After the cleaning is completed, the use of a chain wax or lube is required.

After spraying the wax or lube, and rotating the chain to get it into the O-rings or X-rings; you can then wipe off all the excess that will sling up on your bike. The reason for this is the excess will not continue to work its way into the O-rings or X-rings, it will be thrown from the chain or not rolled back into the chain.

Everything that I am mentioning here is pertaining to motorcycles, not dirt
bikes.

V/R

Rob

You are comparing a 'metal' ball bearing to a 'rubber' o ring :banghead:

I lube mine everyday that I ride...and clean it every 500-1000 miles. Which may only be a day or two :whistle:

I use diesel fuel that I store for my portable generator. I think it is similar to kerosene. Is anyone aware of problems caused by the use of diesel fuel instead of kerosene for o-ring chain cleaning?

BA, I wasn't comparing the two, it was an example of the long term use of WD40.

Hope that clarifies things.

I'll definitely use WD-40 and a rag to clean the gnarley side plates.

I don't use it to serve as a lube, however..... regular plain-jane motor oil does that job for me.

Back