Clean visor for your helmet

Rocketman

Registered
Yesterday I leave work late - and of course, it's windy and busy and dark. I have my visor on and having used Windex on it - thought I would be fine.

There was such a cloudiness on the visor, I couldn't believe it. I tried to clean it again and the same cloudiness. Wifey tells me to get a small bowl of hot water and add a couple of teaspoons of vinegar.

So - I do - and dip a paper towell in the concoction and proceed to clean the visor inside and out. I then dry it with a paper towell and WOW! Talk about clean and shiny all day!! Big difference.

No more spray on cleaning junk for me. The v & w worked wonders. Old time remedy - fantastic results.

thought I'd share...

Ride on.

I just use a steaming hot bounty, lay it on the visor/windscreen or front of the bike when its filthy with bugs etc, and the hot bounty wipes it all right off!

For those that do use Windex or those types of spray cleaners, just make sure its the non ammonia formula. Used it for years and no clouding. V&W does work well (good for cleaning irons too) although I would never use a paper towel on my shield.

wipe some Hydrogen Peroxide on it, let sit a moment, wipe again and it will be clean like new.....bugs come off easier than with anything else I've seen.

The paper towels will scratch anything plastic. I found that micro fiber towels are best when cleaning plastic, even glass for a streakless finish. They are pretty cheap now and you can get them at WalMart.

Ah... yes...  
wink.gif
 definitely use something soft on the visor.  If you have a chrome or reflective finish visor - you'll scratch the shinola out of it...    
wow.gif
 doh!

yes yes - good points...    
beerchug.gif

Hmm...I used Bounty (papertowel) and hot water on my mirrored and clear visors and never scrathed. I never dry rubbed them either though. Somethings work good for some and not others I suppose. Newspaper works good too, not dry either.

I used honda polish one time, the smell about killed me the entire ride.

There's a Windex that's made with vinegar instead of Ammonia. Works great on visors, mirrors and windscreens.

Don't use paper towels. Use a micro fiber or 100% cotton cloth. Make sure it isn't one you just used to clean your swingarms!!!
tounge.gif

--Wag--

I use Windex (must be ammonia free). I take the visor off the helmet every time I ride, spray it, let it stand in the sink for a few minutes then run it under warm water using my fingers to wipe across the surface. When it is clean I dry with a microfiber towel. No paper towels, no paper. The bugs pretty much rinse off but the fingers just make sure. Wet papertowels are better than dry, but I still don't like them.

I can't believe nobodys ever heard of damping a corner of a towel, wiping it clean and drying it with the other corner of towel..haha.  It's just a helmet shield guys, it's not rocket science.
wink.gif
Disclaimer: This was not intended to be rude.

(NickHayabusa @ Nov. 13 2006,00:58) I can't believe nobodys ever heard of damping a corner of a towel, wiping it clean and drying it with the other corner of towel..haha. It's just a helmet shield guys, it's not rocket science.
wink.gif
Disclaimer: This was not intended to be rude.
Good one!!

Still, I'm constantly surprised by how many people have helmet visors and windscreens which are scratched to he!! by their cleaning methods. Sad, really. It's not rocket science, yeah, but you'd think it is sometimes!!!

Rock dings, on the other hand, there isn't much you can do about that.

lurk.gif

--Wag--

I've never had problems with a paper towel myself. Run it under hot water to loosen the bugs, wipe it clean with a paper towel, dry with another one.

Back