Check injector strainers too

OB_Bob

Registered
I had my pump apart and it was fairly clean, my green paper filter was still green (changed it anyways) and there was only a small amount of brown stuff in the pressure regulator strainer.
I took off the fuel injector bar and the injectors. At the top of them you will see a small black piece of plastic. Shine a light into the top of it and you will see a small strainer. Mine was clean, but those of you that have a lot of build-up might have some brown in it?

Has anyone put a pressure gauge on their bike? If so, what is the actual pressure seen. Our regulators change settings based on vacuum at the throttle body. That is why there is a hose going to the regulator.
Bob

GSX1300guy, Bob has my manual he should be sending it back tuesday or so. You are welcome to it when it arrives.

Got the bike back from dealer after service bulletin work, WAY BIG differance. I am amazed the bike was even running. Unlike yours the petcock strainer was relatively clean. Pump insulator strainer and pressure regulator screen wer full of brown gook, and the paper pump filter was brown.

Thanks to Kawabuser I do have a manual, now being copied. Thank you again!!!!
You can not remove the strainers the best i can tell. I tried to pry the plastic piece out but decided to stop when it was not coming. There is the brass electrical contacts in the same area to fire the injector and i did not want to damage it. besides, mine looked clean. The only reason I knew where the strainer was is because Kawabuser (Mike) also was kind enough to let me borrow his Hayabusa Bible, which showed a cross section of the injector. The manual does not say how to clean, or at least I can't find it.
You could check your injectors in 1/2 hour. Raise the tank, remove the air box for more room, and also check inside your T.Bodies while your at it. Remove the four philips screws holding the injectors in there place. The bar lifts up and everything is o-ringed with slip fit. Pulls apart. Use a little engine oil if you have to to press back together. Don't turn the injector (twist) when reinstalling.
Bob

Pulled my injectors out and the screens looked good..thank god.I also balanced the throttle bodies and adjusted the t.p.s.Also did the air box mod.Of coarse after I was done,didn`t have time to ride the bike..go figure,hopefully it`ll be even more of a screamer...sounds better though :)I still have that carbon buildup on my valves even though I`ve been using injector/valve cleaner.I thought I read somewhere that the high ammounts of zinc additive in motorcycle oils does this.I`m still waiting for my manual :( I just finished surfing all morning(at work) and it seems the valve buildup is due to the fuel additives baking on the valve tops due to the injectors spraying the fuel on them. It looks like Chevron super is the gas to get and that Redline fuel system cleaner or BG44K is the stuff to use to clean off those deposits.I have been using syntech cleaner and running Mobil super,I`ll let you guys know if it works.

[This message has been edited by gsx1300rguy (edited 26 September 1999).]

Back