Cheap mods on a stock bike?

Got-Busa?

Donating Member
Registered
Just curious but on a BONE STOCK bike will the small box mod and PAIR mod give me any gains?

I am running 10.2's on a ALL STOCK 03 SE and just want to get in the 9's before I put on my other bolt-ons.

I have heard 2-3 HP out of the PAIR mod but didn't know if this was with aftermarket exhaust or by just removing it?  

Also what about the small box mod?  Will the bike run lean or lose/gain power without doing anything else?  I don't need to remap on a stock bike do I?  I know I need to with a aftermarket pipe but what about stock exhaust?

Are these mods worth the trouble all STOCK or should I just put the -2" lowering links on the back to break in the 9's?

Thanks,

Josh  

P.S. I'm trying to get in the 9's with the least amount of mods!

Anyone?

I just want to run a 9.99 with the least amount of mods. I am getting mid 1.7 60's and 4.4-.5 330' so I just need to get out of the hole a tad quicker.

Thoughts/Recommendations would be great besides......practice...practice...practice....

:sad:

The airbox will help a tad.

Lower the bike 3" in the rear and 1-1 1/2 up front.
THAT will help.

No need to remap at this point.

Thanks SLEEPERBUSA,

How hard is the airbox plastic? Is it just like cutting the rear fender or should I use a dremel? I'll keep my fingers crossed to break in the 9's this week.

:cool:

I doubt the PAIR and any airbox mod will drop you into the 9's. You are looking for .25 seconds roughly. The PAIR mod (not removal) is supposed to be good for a couple of HP. And the Airbox mod with a stock exhaust will gain almost nothing because of the ristriction of the exhaust. In fact you might loose a little time since the mid range torque is affected by removing the flap. I mean lose mid range and gain top a little - may be a wash in a race.

PAIR removal is no HP gain. It just removes the air injection pump into exhaust. You will stop backfiring is all. The PAIR mod is where you use this PAIR pump to pull a vaccuum on the crank case. You would leave the PAIR installed and simply move the input air pipe from the airbox down to the crankcase breather tube on top of the tranny behind the cylinders. Now the PAIR pump draws air from the case instead of the airbox. It is supposed to help the rings seal when positive pressure is removed from the crankcase. Pistons have less air mass under them to content with too. At least that is the theory. Don't forget to plug the airbox nipple the PAIR used to conect to if you do this mod.

Bottom line is - Will 3-5 HP get you .25 seconds? I don't know.

Lose the stock exhaust pipe for a full system and you will loose 25 pounds. That would be good enough for .25 seconds.

I will just wait until I put my full system on for the PAIR mod. Looks like I will just have to lower the rear 2" and hope that is enough to get the job done?

I have started the SMALL BOX MOD and was wondering how much you guys cut off? Do you go just outside of were the ridge comes up to seal the stock filter? Also what about the hing hooks and bars(flap rotates on)? Get rid of all that stuff?

Keeping my fingers crossed for 9's!

Josh :cool:

Definitely wait for the Pair mod until you do the exhaust. It is a pain in the ass, and you don't wanna do that twice. I totally agree with Sierra... A full 4-2-1 Ti exhaust will lighten your bike by 20+ lbs and give you some additional HP to boot. The airbox mod is painful to do, but doable with a dremel. I found that after the airbox mod, my bike was a hair "choppier" in the very low RPMs (i.e. from a start). I did the medium mod. But, if I rev the motor up some (like when drag racing) it starts nicely.

Also, please note than MANY people run their BONE stock busa under 10 seconds... So, you may have been correct saying, "practice, practice, practice."

Finally, perhaps loosing a couple of ellbees yourself will help. How much do you weigh? Trim 10-15 lbs off of yourself (if that is available) and make your time a bit better!

Good luck bro!

-Rippah

I have exhaust and a few other mods just sitting in my living room waiting to go on the bike but........I want 9's without that stuff!

I am no light weight at around 190-200 lbs. and feel I am launching pretty damn hard for the crummy track that we have locally. I am getting consistent 1.74-.78 60' times so not the best but not BAD for an ALL STOCK bike! I was just wondering if there were any little tricks that people do to get a couple extra HP/reduce ET out of there bikes?

I did the small box mod and it is quite a bit faster. You do loose a little bit of LOW end but everywhere else it is better. A buddy of mine and I did role-ons in every gear and I was pretty surprised how much of a difference it made.

Below 4k he would just barely creep on me (not even a bike length). Once it hit 4k I would stop his pull and start to real him in by 5k and would go by him around 6k! Anything over 5-6k from a role and I would instantly pull him pretty good and the bike length's would continue to increase as the speed went up. I highly recommend this mod, even on a stock bike!

What about shifting?

Do you guys stay full throttle and just blip the clutch lever and shift at WOT? Or do you blip the throttle and shift without the clutch lever? I had previously tried both on a 1/8 mile track (different bike) and it was quite a bit slower letting off the gas to shift clutch lever less!

Do you think I should bump the rear tire PSI down some? It is still at the stock 36 PSI? I don't have too much trouble with traction but I guess I might try that this week.

It will be lowered this week 2" in rear and strapped in front so I better get in the 9's!

I hate being a :newbie: !

PICT0261.JPG

spend $30 on a front strap. everytime your forks expand, you lose time and are more prone to wheelie.
before I got my air shifer, I always just cracked the throttle to 80% and shifted without the clutch. very consistent with practice.

I just put a strap and links on the rear today! Anything else I should try?

What about tire PSI? :super:

I have exhaust and a few other mods just sitting in my living room waiting to go on the bike but........I want 9's without that stuff!

I am no light weight at around 190-200 lbs. and feel I am launching pretty damn hard for the crummy track that we have locally.  I am getting consistent 1.74-.78 60' times so not the best but not BAD for an ALL STOCK bike!  I was just wondering if there were any little tricks that people do to get a couple extra HP/reduce ET out of there bikes?

I did the small box mod and it is quite a bit faster.  You do loose a little bit of LOW end but everywhere else it is better.  A buddy of mine and I did role-ons in every gear and I was pretty surprised how much of a difference it made.

Below 4k he would just barely creep on me (not even a bike length).  Once it hit 4k I would stop his pull and start to real him in by 5k and would go by him around 6k!  Anything over 5-6k from a role and I would instantly pull him pretty good and the bike length's would continue to increase as the speed went up.  I highly recommend this mod, even on a stock bike!

What about shifting?

Do you guys stay full throttle and just blip the clutch lever and shift at WOT?  Or do you blip the throttle and shift without the clutch lever?  I had previously tried both on a 1/8 mile track (different bike) and it was quite a bit slower letting off the gas to shift clutch lever less!

Do you think I should bump the rear tire PSI down some?  It is still at the stock 36 PSI?  I don't have too much trouble with traction but I guess I might try that this week.  

It will be lowered this week 2" in rear and strapped in front so I better get in the 9's!

I hate being a :newbie: !
anyone? show me a pic of the SMALL box mod,??? how does the filter set in the box??? newB me

Back