Changing gearing with a new chain

KanjiBusa

Seizures Suck!
Donating Member
Registered
I have a vortex 16 tooth up front, and am thinking about putting a vortex 42 on the back once I get a new chain. Who has 16/42 I know there will be a lot of acceleration, should I get some dogbones and schnitz strap? Or should I be ok? does it come up in second just as easy as first with just 16/40? Is top speed hurt badly? Can I still hit 186mph if I need to with 16/42. Thanks everyone for your input

KB

been runnin 16/42 on my bike since I bought it in '05. no prob, man-bike'll still go to 190+ if you have a TRE (I can pull off on a stock Busa but I also had HMF pipes/PC IIIr n map)

the front pulls up in 3rd at 120-140 if you clutch it on the freeway....dont ask how i know that
firedevil.gif

come up very easy in 2nd with 16/42,too low gearing for 186mph even with a TRE.That why I'm sticking to 17/42.Of course unless you want to wheelie.Lowering it will help keep it down.

(BigDiesel @ Apr. 05 2007,16:18) been runnin 16/42 on my bike since I bought it in '05. no prob, man-bike'll still go to 190+ if you have a TRE (I can pull off on a stock Busa but I also had HMF pipes/PC IIIr n map)

the front pulls up in 3rd at 120-140 if you clutch it on the freeway....dont ask how i know that
firedevil.gif
Hey BD, does it still come up with yours lowered? Or was it stock height.

it doesnt fly up now that I have front down 1 3/4" and rear down 1", but before that-well, its getn paint right now from the 12 o'clock last year.   'nuff said.
SHOCKED.gif

(BigDiesel @ Apr. 05 2007,16:43) it doesnt fly up now that I have front down 1 3/4" and rear down 2", but before that-well, its getn paint right now from the 12 o'clock last year. 'nuff said.
SHOCKED.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I would shat myself if that happened

laugh.gif

Maybe streetntrack can hook me up with a zzz gold 112 and a 42 vortex

IMO-to prevent the wheelies?

drop the rear and inch-i just checked Im only down one hole-oops! 1down in the rear, and 1 3/4" up front. worx good-Ive hammered it a few times before I tore it apart this winter.

(BigDiesel @ Apr. 06 2007,02:10) IMO-to prevent the wheelies?

drop the rear and inch-i just checked Im only down one hole-oops!  1down in the rear, and 1 3/4" up front. worx good-Ive hammered it a few times before I tore it apart this winter.
good info

16/42=17/44...I would go for 17/42, and if you get smaller sprockets in front, you'll get faster stretches in the chain...
super.gif

Back