Changes in eBay and PayPal's policies, beware.

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
If you have less than 25 items sold thru ebay and get paid thru PayPal they will now hold your money until item is delivered. I've been on ebay since 2006 with 100% satisfaction and over 200 perfect feedbacks but in October my acct went under a 'review' and policies were also changed. Times before once paid I could immediately withdraw and transfer the funds into my acct. Now I cannot do that. I have to wait until item is delivered and prove that thru tracking number to get my money released to me. This is BS.
Justin at Honda East will be the last person I ever pay thru PayPal. Absolutely nothing against him I just won't deal with PayPal ever again. So if you sell something and have less than 25 items sold thru PayPal be ready for them to hold funds until its delivered.

Pass it on.

I wonder if that's not a good idea Saiid to protect from all the fraud. Wouldn't it be worth a few days?

Don't blame Paypal and Ebay, blame the thieving dirtbags that use them. They are just protecting themselves and their users. Sure, it's not convenient for you, but it's a lot less convenient to find that someone has accepted payment for a product, not delivered it, and the money was already withdrawn.

It won't matter. All those theives have to do is put bricks or something that weights a xxx amount of pounds ship it. Once they tracking number shows the buyer has received something paypal will release the money. Even if the buyer disputes and says it's the wrong item neither the seller nor the buyer can prove what was actually in the box. It happened to me a few years back when I bought a motor for my car. The seller sent me a junk bare block.

That's where feedback is supposed to come in. With over 200 perfect A+ transactions there is no reason not to believe I won't ship. It's a crock of crap.

cant blame them. fleabay has become the #1 place for people to scam. its really no different then an escrow service

I LOL'd reading this because of the lack of knowledge about what is actually happening... thanks.

The policy change is the way it SHOULD be. If you sell something on eBay and the buyer pays you with PayPal.... I think it's perfectly legit that you shouldn't get that money until the buyer gets the product. Local stores don't give you merchandise without you paying first do they? This is no different.

Fees and such can be complained about all day, but in the end eBay and PayPal (which is an eBay company) are just doing what is in the best interest of their customers AND the company.

The policy change is the way it SHOULD be. If you sell something on eBay and the buyer pays you with PayPal.... I think it's perfectly legit that you shouldn't get that money until the buyer gets the product. Local stores don't give you merchandise without you paying first do they? This is no different.

I agree, because then maybe it would a fire under some of the sellers a$$s to actually ship the items. I have bought stuff before and paid 4x the shipping it would cost, but didn't complain as I figure it in with the cost of the item for my overall total for what I want to pay for item. And then you wait and wait and then 2-3 weeks later you get the item to see it was only mailed out 2-3 days ago. So if the seller has to wait for his/her money until item is delivered I'm sure there will be a lot emphasis on getting the buyer what they paid you for in the first place. ???

Banger and Rollin I can partially agree with you but politely disagree.
PayPal is from their own words a payment center. A simple middle man supposed to transfer funds and in turn for that they receive a fee. For a new member, for one not established, for one not having perfect feedback over almost five years I could see yalls point. But in my case and others the grace should go to the side of the seller. There is ZERO reason for anyone to think I won't ship quick and a perfect as advertised item. If there was it would be reflected in comments.
I ship a perfect item. Buyer gets it and there's a problem, maybe it's not what he wanted or whatever. Then it should be between the buyer and me to work it out. Now we have PayPal in the middle holding the funds.

All I got to say is THANK GOD FOR GUNBROKER and honest folk who still deal with it. I buy, I send an mo, item comes. I've sold guns in excess of $5k there and had people send me a check for it because based upon feedback there is something called TRUST that still exists there.

Banger and Rollin I can partially agree with you but politely disagree.
PayPal is from their own words a payment center. A simple middle man supposed to transfer funds and in turn for that they receive a fee. For a new member, for one not established, for one not having perfect feedback over almost five years I could see yalls point. But in my case and others the grace should go to the side of the seller. There is ZERO reason for anyone to think I won't ship quick and a perfect as advertised item. If there was it would be reflected in comments.
I ship a perfect item. Buyer gets it and there's a problem, maybe it's not what he wanted or whatever. Then it should be between the buyer and me to work it out. Now we have PayPal in the middle holding the funds.

All I got to say is THANK GOD FOR GUNBROKER and honest folk who still deal with it. I buy, I send an mo, item comes. I've sold guns in excess of $5k there and had people send me a check for it because based upon feedback there is something called TRUST that still exists there.

I could see why you had better keep your word when buying and selling guns with people who obviously have guns :)

And I can see how a perfect Ebay rating with a ton of ratings and a few years of history might give them reason to exclude you, but I can also see that ebay is taking steps to reduce blatant fraud using their site, and I for one am glad to see them do it. I suspect there are also a bunch of other members in your situation, and that when enough of you complain they may well modify it a little.

I LOL'd reading this because of the lack of knowledge about what is actually happening... thanks.

Fees and such can be complained about all day, but in the end eBay and PayPal (which is an eBay company) are just doing what is in the best interest of their customers AND the company.

This is not accurate either because any other company on the net (Amazon, Best Buy, Radio Shack) will charge you before they send you the item. So should all retailers on the net wait to charge you until you get the item?

I have not read the new policy, but does this mean that we are required to have tracking on any item we sell so that PayPal can check it or is it the responsibility of the buyer to inform PayPal of the delivery? I have sold many things on Ebay where the buyer did not even leave feedback, so this would mean that I never got paid and the item was in fact delivered.

In the 10+ years I have been using Ebay I have only been burned one time and I was refunded the money through PayPal. I do not really see a problem with the system as it is now, but can respect the changes they are making to protect themselves and reduce work load on their staff. Essentially I think they are putting more responsibility on us as consumers so that they can reduce their staff and profit more.

paypal might only be the "Middle man" as some have referred to them as but not really because THEY are the ones offering protection against a deadbeat seller by refunding the money that you have lost. so they are more then a middle man imo.

I dont think it has anything to do if someone is happy or not with the product. I think it referrs more to when the item has been delivered based on the tracking number showing that item shipped has arrived. most all of the major shippers log in that the item was delivered. I would ASSume thats how it works. if that was the case and the shipper now had to wait on the buyer to inform paypal that not only they received the item but now want it then that would be BS. but it doesnt appear to be that way but maybe im wrong.???

Its so they can keep the money in thier account and collect the interest ! WE'RE TALKING MILLIONS A MONTH HERE !!!!

My issue with it all these days are the extreme fees they charging. Another member sold some bike parts and had a bill from Ebay for $400. I sold a GPS unit and it cost me about $48 after Ebay's final fees and then Paypal's fees on top of it. CRAZY~!~ :banghead:

I am noticing these days that quite a bit of things are much more expensive on Ebay than if I go down to the store and order/buy it.

Example...those little digital cars new on Ebay are starting at $5 more PLUS shipping than if I go order one from the Hobby shop.

Sellers are having to make up for these fees, it's just not even worth it.

I think Ebay has gotten so big that everyone is used to the online deal with them but I have to wonder if it won't come back to bite them in the next couple years

I don't sell a lot or buy a lot on Ebay, so it is not income I miss. I have sold like 4 things on Ebay in the past two years, then I get a notice that they will hold and then I get a notice that they won't. Unfortunately, they are a necessary nuisance, with services no one else offers.

This is not accurate either because any other company on the net (Amazon, Best Buy, Radio Shack) will charge you before they send you the item. So should all retailers on the net wait to charge you until you get the item?

I have not read the new policy, but does this mean that we are required to have tracking on any item we sell so that PayPal can check it or is it the responsibility of the buyer to inform PayPal of the delivery? I have sold many things on Ebay where the buyer did not even leave feedback, so this would mean that I never got paid and the item was in fact delivered.

In the 10+ years I have been using Ebay I have only been burned one time and I was refunded the money through PayPal. I do not really see a problem with the system as it is now, but can respect the changes they are making to protect themselves and reduce work load on their staff. Essentially I think they are putting more responsibility on us as consumers so that they can reduce their staff and profit more.

I was told by ebay and PayPal that if you ship with tracking number that 3 days after it shows delivered in the system funds are released. Without that than yes you are gonna have to wait for buyer to mark it delivered.

Back