Chain Tool

GSXRFANN

FLUNKIE
Donating Member
Registered
Does anyone know if Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply carries a chain tool to break and rivet chains?

I bought one on ebay,they are all pretty much the same,,around $80.I broke all the pins replaceing mine,I got it done but the kit is worthless now.it's a pain in the balls,next time i'll ride the bike over and pay the $50 to have it done in 10min.

Arrgghh! The Harbor Freight is a Chinese P.O.S.

I bit the bullet and bought an RK chain breaking tool, about 3 years ago, and have not looked back. You get what you pay for. Even though this thing seems indestructible, I still grind the heads off the pins before pressing the master link out.

I just bought a RK EXCELL from Moto-Heaven in Sugar Grove, PA I found on Ebay for $94 plus $6.95 shipping. Works great, very good to deal with, the best chain break I have found, Gary

That is the motion pro chain breaker and unless you buy a super duty one, none are good at knocking unground rivets off today.

Chains today are not the same as a few years ago. The chain breakers all have a note about grinding the rivet before trying to push it out.

I have the MP above and it has worked just fine.. I think a few others are have the same one I do

This is the one I have and I have had several people borrow it and it still will punch out a pin in a 530 chain like it is butter. I have never had to replace the pin and it will rivet the 530 just fine. I did have to modifiy the press plate for the 530 links since it did not fit right but after that the thing works perfect.

http://www.toolsource.com/jumbo-chain-tool-p-100089.html

I bought one on ebay,they are all pretty much the same,,around $80.I broke all the pins replaceing mine,I got it done but the kit is worthless now.it's a pain in the balls,next time i'll ride the bike over and pay the $50 to have it done in 10min.
I'm glad you said this and will use it for reference for now on..I offered a kit to a customer for $110 SHIPPED,he said I can get them on ebay for $50..I SAID BUY IT THERE THEN...GUESS WHAT HE HAS ONE OF MY KITS NOW...TOTAL COST $160 FOR NOT LISTENING....YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...I HAVE YET TO BUST A PIN IN MY KITS...The ebay kit looks the same but it's not they use low grade metal and it snaps..I been using same one for years...

The cheaper motion pro is fine for a casual user IMO.. if you use the thing every week? belly up and buy good stuff.

The one on Ebay is some Chinese knock off and not the same as the motion pro unit.. but the $60 motion pro is not for everyday use either..

I am going to be playing around with my swingarm length and will probably need to use one a couple or three times while I get it set right, and I don't want to spend a sh$tload of cash on one cause the next time I need a chain, I will just cut it to match my existing one, but for now?? I dunno what to do!!

Dremel & Flat head screwdriver to remove old link, Two hammers & Hole Punch to install new link.

HAHA got caught not reading the entire post. sorry!

I would still recommend buying the more expensive motion pro and never having to worry about it again you will always have a good chain tool.

Im with Goldenchild on this one. I bought some of the cheeper ones and had to keep replacing them in the shop, then I bit the bullet and got a nice one and havent had a lick of trouble with it sense.

Josh

Ryders Connection

My Dad always said buy good tools--- the first time. +1 ON GRINDING OFF THE RIVETS WITH A DREMEL TOOL

I have the Motion Pro but I have to admit that I have to be careful with it. Also, I did break one of the pins at one point and had to replace it. Or MrGxr did. I don't recall. Anyway, if I were using it every day, I'd get a much better one.

--Wag--

+1 on Motion Pro Jumbo kit. Never changed a chain in my life til the other day. Got the CORRECT tool for the job. Used the dremmel to shave down the riveted head of one pin and the motion pro pushed it smoothe outta there. Puttin the new chain on was a BREEZE!!!

just got the RK chain tool today....nice piece looks very strong..
thumb_up.gif

I am going to be playing around with my swingarm length and will probably need to use one a couple or three times while I get it set right, and I don't want to spend a sh$tload of cash on one cause the next time I need a chain, I will just cut it to match my existing one, but for now?? I dunno what to do!!
If I didn't loan it to my buddy in California, who is s-l-o-w to return things, I'd be happy to FedEx my RK kit to you.

If by chance, I get it back over the weekend, I'll PM you!

I have a motion pro. It's barely OK for occasional use. I haven't broken any pins, but I'm going to bite the bullet and get a good one.

Back