Chain tool a must?

Even though its going to cost you some more cash, its definately worth the peace of mind knowing that the chain is installed correctly. It only takes a few minutes to do the job properly with the chain tool, and no frustration because the tool you're using isn't doing what you want it to do..

I have the blue box one also.. well worth the cost, and not to step on any toes.. I got mine off ebay for $60 plus shipping. I've probably done about 15 chains with it.. between my friends and mine for 2 bikes... with NO problems whatsoever..

you CAN break them, but if you it properly, you shouldn't have a problem.

good luck

Here's changing mine a short while back. Also sprung for the $$$ chain. :whistle:

Breaking the chain, after grinding down the master link with angle grinder

Hi Tim

I expected to see some rust on the inside of the master link pins.

Silly question: Is that rust all over your chain, and sprocket, or just the photo?
It just looks a little scary, so I had to ask.

I ended up picking this one up while I was getting new tires mounted at Cycle Gear...

RivetTool.jpg

OK, does anyone personally know of anyone with a chain failure caused from a properly installed master link clip? I have run one for years with no problem. There good enough for the 200+ HP GP bikes and many drag bikes.

:dunno: What, no one? You would think these things are breaking all over the place.

:dunno: What, no one? You would think these things are breaking all over the place.

That's the point we are making.
If they are properly installed they work well, and shouldn't fail.
Chains do break, and they will always break at the weakest link.
IMO

I was talking about the quote earlier in the thread about not even thinking about using a clip.

Last edited:
You can take the old chain off any way you please. You can grind it off, beat it with a rock, use an oxy-acetylene rig, plasma cutter, hydraulic bolt cutter, hacksaw, whatever you have available :laugh:

To install it, you can improvise a means to peen the master link pins (you aren't thinking of a clip type master link, are you?); but I would strongly suggest you not do that. A failed chain will ruin your day in a hurry, and in a big way, as you are probably aware.

If you shell out the money for a good chain press, and take your time with it, you will have the peace of mind knowing that the chain is installed correctly, and safely. Using an improvised chain tool can compromise the chain.

When you look at most chains, you will notice that the pins are "quad staked" That means that they are peened over in four areas (sort of like bisecting the pin). What this accomplishes is that it spreads out the clamping force of the peened pin on the side plate uniformly, and allows more surface area to do so without compromising the integrity of the pin.

This one.

thx for replying bro, and i feel ya about the dangers in the what if's? as i had my ZX12R chain break at sac raceway @ about 130mph :fire: it pretty much tore the whole back of the bike apart....frame too! I was just hoping someone new a different way or tool to use.......as you can see by the pic i have many of them.........just not the damn one i NEED! :banghead:

I think I have tool box envy.
You got some really good advice here.... buy the tool!:thumbsup:

This one.

The clip type of master link is designed for dirt bikes etc where the speed is slower.
The chain on our bikes makes a 180 degree turn around the front sprocket (which is about 3 inches in diameter), and at 200 mph the force on that silly clip isn't worth risking. It is reversing direction at 200 mph in 3 inches!
I don't know anyone who uses that type of clip and I don't think you can even get a master link for a chain that will fit the strength of chain that we need.
There is a reason why the master links come with the type of design that they need the tool to apply them.

If you've haven't already got this, I've got this in stock. I can ship Monday if you like. You'd have it Wed.

Buy Now is here. <--Clicky

View attachment 111666

I also carry the one below that... which is what I've got.

View attachment 111667

In retrospect, I probably should have sprung for the jumbo, as it's more heavy duty. The blue kit just barely handles the big ole busa chain I thought.

DAMN.......wish i would have saw this yesterday :banghead: how much you asking for it? i just bought the same kit for a 100.00. would have much rather kept the $$$ in the family ???

T
I don't know anyone who uses that type of clip and I don't think you can even get a master link for a chain that will fit the strength of chain that we need.
There is a reason why the master links come with the type of design that they need the tool to apply them.

That is incorrect. You can buy clip master for EK ZZZ chain.
I used it many time with no problem for many thousand miles.

I`m not encourage that, I`m just sayig that they do clip masters up to 630 chains.

Here's changing mine a short while back. Also sprung for the $$$ chain. :whistle:

Breaking the chain, after grinding down the master link with angle grinder

Hi Tim

I expected to see some rust on the inside of the master link pins.

Silly question: Is that rust all over your chain, and sprocket, or just the photo?
It just looks a little scary, so I had to ask.

That's exactly what I was thinkin. Does he never oil his chain?

Back