Chain tool a must?

ToXSicK RoCKeT

Registered
Hey peeps, im getting ready to change my chain, and after just dropping 230.00 big ones i really dont want to have to buy a 100.00 chain tool. is there any other methods? anyone ever used angthing other than this "job specific" tool? call me CRAZY, but i was thinking of like using a big azz C clamp and a small ball bearing :whistle: to press it?, or maybe a brake line flairing tool. HELP PLEASE

You can take the old chain off any way you please. You can grind it off, beat it with a rock, use an oxy-acetylene rig, plasma cutter, hydraulic bolt cutter, hacksaw, whatever you have available :laugh:

To install it, you can improvise a means to peen the master link pins (you aren't thinking of a clip type master link, are you?); but I would strongly suggest you not do that. A failed chain will ruin your day in a hurry, and in a big way, as you are probably aware.

If you shell out the money for a good chain press, and take your time with it, you will have the peace of mind knowing that the chain is installed correctly, and safely. Using an improvised chain tool can compromise the chain.

When you look at most chains, you will notice that the pins are "quad staked" That means that they are peened over in four areas (sort of like bisecting the pin). What this accomplishes is that it spreads out the clamping force of the peened pin on the side plate uniformly, and allows more surface area to do so without compromising the integrity of the pin.

"ruin your day in a hurry" is an understatement!
I wouldn't risk it.
I have the tool and still check that link after every ride.
No such thing as total piece of mind for that piece.
It also gets lubed after every ride.
The rest of the chain has lube inside the rollers from the manufacturer, sealed with the O-rings.
This link has a little lube that you put on when installing, and O-rings, but it is nowhere as sealed as the rest of the chain.
You know the old saying about the strength of a chain and the weakest link?
When I think about the stress on that little part and how fast it is moving, when I wail on it, I shudder.
I even painted it red so I can find it easily.
JMO

thx for replying bro, and i feel ya about the dangers in the what if's? as i had my ZX12R chain break at sac raceway @ about 130mph :fire: it pretty much tore the whole back of the bike apart....frame too! I was just hoping someone new a different way or tool to use.......as you can see by the pic i have many of them.........just not the damn one i NEED! :banghead:

101_0174.jpg

ALLLLLLRRRIIIIIGGGGHTTTTT....... i'll go buy a damn chain tool........ " babe can i have my atm card back?........huh?......why?........cause your birthdays comming up!":laugh: :bomb:

Don't risk it. I'm about to pay 100 bucks for that tool myself this week as I plan to change my chain and sprockets this coming weekend.

ALLLLLLRRRIIIIIGGGGHTTTTT....... i'll go buy a damn chain tool........ " babe can i have my atm card back?........huh?......why?........cause your birthdays comming up!":laugh: :bomb:

Would make a nice present for her, especially if she likes you around - breathing.
You can always engrave it with her name.
Homer Simpson does that when he buys a new bowling ball, engraves "Marge" on it, even though she doesn't bowl.

If you've haven't already got this, I've got this in stock. I can ship Monday if you like. You'd have it Wed.

chain_tool_jumbo_5.jpg

Buy Now is here. <--Clicky

I also carry the one below that... which is what I've got.

chain_breaker_riveting_tool.jpg

In retrospect, I probably should have sprung for the jumbo, as it's more heavy duty. The blue kit just barely handles the big ole busa chain I thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's changing mine a short while back. Also sprung for the $$$ chain. :whistle:

Breaking the chain, after grinding down the master link with angle grinder

Popping out the rivets

Comparing old with the new & making sure I ordered the right length.
Stock is 112 links.

Mushrooming over the new chain master link. Overall, the chain tool worked great! I should have bought one of these years ago. I used to have the cheapy $20 chain press tool, but busted it first time out with the busa chain. :laugh:

Img_0109_chain_breaker.jpg

Img_0110_breaking_the_chain_420.jpg

Img_0178_motion_pro_chian_breaker.jpg

Img_0113_chain_800.jpg

Yeah, I have the Motion Pro in the blue box and it works fine if I take my time.

Your alternative, I guess, is to take it in and have a punk kid at the dealership do it for about $75.

:D

--Wag--

Two words...Motion Pro, I also have the MP Chain breaker folding tool. To be perfectly honest ????......I'll break with the folding tool, and assemble (press/flair) with the kit tools. Just smooth and easy. Heck I pressed the 4-peened link out of John's old chain and left his old master alone. Then we counted the links, darn it Daniel (just kidding bud) we said 112 links.....pulled of what we didn't need, and I kept them as spares.... :super:

but i was thinking of like using a big azz C clamp and a small ball bearing :whistle: to press it?, or maybe a brake line flairing tool. HELP PLEASE

I like your idea, It will work the same way job specific tool does.
C clamp with ball bearing. :beerchug:

BTW Love your tool box!

$10,000 on a bike.
$230 on a chain and sprocket's.
$100 on a chain tool
Knowing your chain will not break your case or you crash it when it fall off,PRICELESS.

Does anyone have this chain breaker kit? I was thinking of purchasing this one and was wondering if it was good enough to handle the busa chain.

I have the one in the Blue Box above.
It works plenty fine.
Make sure you grind off the pins of the old master link you are removing before using the tool to push them out.

Does anyone have this chain breaker kit? I was thinking of purchasing this one and was wondering if it was good enough to handle the busa chain.

Sax - it is, and this is the one I used. It's likely the most economical solution if you want to get a chain breaker kit.

Here's a slightly bigger pic of the kit to see the contents. Main difference with this over the next step up with the more $$$ Jumbo kit is the various size pins it comes with. Each pin is for a different size chain. You have to use the largest pin with the Busa chain.

The kit does two things, it allows you to push out the old pins easily (after you grinded them flush).
Then when you put the master on, you need to mushroom over the master link pins by basically squeezing the piss out of the pin ends, which is why the Rivet Tool needs to be so heavy duty with the Busa chain.

chain_breaker_riveting_tool_3.jpg

Back