chain master link question

karnage

Registered
I am ready to lock the chain in place and the link doesnt fit over the pins.Is this a press fit??Then rivot it??Wnat to make sure before I go any further.I left my good c-clamp at work so cant do it today anyway but making sure before I press it.

The master link should have 4 rubber grommets that fit between the links, and the master link should slide over the pins. The chain rivet tool then mushrooms the head of the pin to hold the link in place. You are not reusing an old link are you?

Chain connecting.jpg

chain 2.jpg

On mine, the link fit over the studs fairly easily, then I had to press the rivots (sp?) in place.

you have to press the link onto the pins.... most you cant push it on with your fingers..some have pieces with them that help set how far you press on...i just went until it looked close to the other links then mushroomed the pins...and when you mushroom the pins its very little..dont mash them way down..only takes a little to hold the clip on..

Ok thats what I thought.Its tight like a press fit almost.My diamond gold chain was that way.It was a press fit and had a clip for in case.This is a chrome EK zvx double x chain.It has the rubber seals to keep the grease in but the link doesnt just push on by hand.

Any other ideas??It wont push on by hand, I swear it wont.

I've had chains like that before too, some are just a tight fit.
You can put the side with the pins on it in the freezer for 10 or 15 minutes, and heat the flat side any number of ways(not glowing either, just a little hot to the touch).
The couple thousandths you gain is usually enough.
If not, a small C clamp will press it on.:beerchug:

I use the motion pro tool too but remove the plate press and do one rivet at a time... I also use a vernier gauge to measure the spread of the rivets and match the mushrroom to that measurment ... works every time.

I used my calipers and measured.I am for sure bigger but the 2 rivots are a little different in expansion.Should I match them??

Back