Chain tool a must?

That is incorrect. You can buy clip master for EK ZZZ chain.
I used it many time with no problem for many thousand miles.

I`m not encourage that, I`m just sayig that they do clip masters up to 630 chains.

I didn't know that.
Thanks for the info.
I still like the riveted one with the tool, however.

Hey just cruising the EK website and they have a solution for install without a tool:

http://www.ekchain.com/access.htm

EK Screw-Type Master Link

You don’t need special tools to install your new EK Chain. This unique, patented link gives a rivet-like fit, using only an 8mm wrench and a pair of pliers. It’s available as an option on many EK Chains.

This looks kind of interesting.
Looks like it would work slick too.

stl1.jpg

stl2.jpg

stl3.jpg

BTW

EK website (in their catalogue) says the rivet type master Link is the most dependable.

"MLJ: Rivet-type
The MLJ is our most dependable connecting link,
more commonly used on street machines. Requires
special riveting tool to install."

Hey just cruising the EK website and they have a solution for install without a tool:

http://www.ekchain.com/access.htm

EK Screw-Type Master Link

You don?t need special tools to install your new EK Chain. This unique, patented link gives a rivet-like fit, using only an 8mm wrench and a pair of pliers. It?s available as an option on many EK Chains.

This looks kind of interesting.
Looks like it would work slick too.

DAMMIT.....LMFAO, of coarse, just my luck......i find this out the day after i drop a 100.00 on the tool, that i've been putting off for months :banghead::banghead::banghead: Oh well i got it now ???

DAMMIT.....LMFAO, of coarse, just my luck......i find this out the day after i drop a 100.00 on the tool, that i've been putting off for months :banghead::banghead::banghead: Oh well i got it now ???

I don't know if their master link will fit on another chain?
If you had an EK chain it would work.
I will still go with the tool rivet, even if I had to buy a tool now.

The clip type of master link is designed for dirt bikes etc where the speed is slower.
The chain on our bikes makes a 180 degree turn around the front sprocket (which is about 3 inches in diameter), and at 200 mph the force on that silly clip isn't worth risking. It is reversing direction at 200 mph in 3 inches!
I don't know anyone who uses that type of clip and I don't think you can even get a master link for a chain that will fit the strength of chain that we need.
There is a reason why the master links come with the type of design that they need the tool to apply them.

Hell, I must be doing something wrong then. Somehow I'm getting dirt bike clips on my big 'ol 530 chains! That 180 degree tuns does turn into a problem if you have the clip backwards, not if it is properly instaled. Once again, think about how small those countersprockets are on those big power drag bikes that drop a couple of teeth in the front. No problems with speed there. Moto GP bikes, difinately not low speed or power.

Like I said EK website describes the rivet link as "the most dependable".
Just a difference of opinion between the folks.
I would not like how the side plate would have to keep the O-rings in place, with a clip.
I don't think there would be enough force on the plate to hold it tight enough against the O-rings so as to keep the grease in and the dirt out.
I can see where it would be of some advantage to be able to take the chain apart all the time to do whatever.
I don't need this feature and to me, I haven't seen or heard of one factory street bike that comes with that type of link. Must be a reason for that.
JMO, but I like the added safety that the rivet gives me (or that I believe it gives me)

Back