chain tension

billbell

Jap is where it's at!
Donating Member
Registered
I did my first oil change and was looking at my chain. The top looks in spec but the under side of the chain looks a little out. Is this normal or should it be more even?

About 3/4 in. is about right at the bottom. As mileage increases you will have less stretch.

If you change the ride height, you are changing the geometry between the frame and the swingarm, which changes the distance betwen the rear and front sprocket. With a load on the bike, the distance between the sprockets increases, which in turn reduces the slack in the chain.

1-1/4" slack in the chain with no load ensures that the rear suspension can fully compress before all of the slack in the chain is used up, too little slack will allow the chain to tighten before the suspension fully compresses which will limit suspension travel and could possibly snap the chain.

Too much slack can cause the chain to jump off the sprocket. Lowering the bike can shorten the distance the suspension can travel which can require using a smaller slack value when adjusting the chain.

This info is courtesy of a 3-day suspension clinic I attended, and is from my recollection from the class.
smile.gif

you still didn't explain the ride height thing... If your bike is lowered.... or raised for that matter.... you should still set your slack to the same as you did if your bike is at stock height correct? seeing as how you don't change the height after you've adjusted the chain.

you still didn't explain the ride height thing... If your bike is lowered.... or raised for that matter.... you should still set your slack to the same as you did if your bike is at stock height correct?  seeing as how you don't change the height after you've adjusted the chain.
Sane man has it correct.
pull your dog bones and set the slack to 1" when the swingarm is in line with piviot bolt and axle then put it to stock height you will have more than 1"

Back