Chain Or Gear Noise Not Really Sure

kramykram

Registered

Ok so took my bike to dealer today for the above noise. They said my chain was to loose. After I left I was worse than it was before I brought back in. Now I get home and lift the rear. I'm rolling the wheel and feeling the chain. It appears to be tight in one spot and loose in the others. Now my question is. If it were the chain. Why does it only do it at a slow roll and as from the video you can see it stops once idled up a bit. I figured the chain is the problem. But seems it would be a constant problem not just a slow roll problem. Any able to help me out? I've read other post but only thing I saw was replacing the gears and chain.

Sounds like the chain to me. You can try to clean the heck out of it - but, if it has a tight spot, then there may be chain links that are bad; how old is the chain (how many miles)? From the sound, I would venture to say that a chain replacement would stop it - but you may want to look close at the sprockets as well to see the condition of the teeth.

Lube lube lube also pull the cover and look at front sprocket a lot of people replace the rear as they can see it it worn but front is out of sight out of mind. Also chain makes total sense as when applying even a little torque the chain will have tension and not bind and when at a slow idle that's link will not straighten out and be forced in to place causing a noise.

Personally anytime I go on a bridge and I can hear chain noise I know I'm due for a lube. I'm also in Iowa so I dont always wear a Helment and can hear these things better.

Sounds like the chain to me. You can try to clean the heck out of it - but, if it has a tight spot, then there may be chain links that are bad; how old is the chain (how many miles)? From the sound, I would venture to say that a chain replacement would stop it - but you may want to look close at the sprockets as well to see the condition of the teeth.

The front gear has been changed. I will check it thought when I put a new chain in. Just ordered one. After further inspection it seems a few links are rather tight. I sprayed the chain down with some wd40 and will let it sit while I'm back in New Mexico working. Just odd it happened all of a sudden.

Thanks for the input

Lube lube lube also pull the cover and look at front sprocket a lot of people replace the rear as they can see it it worn but front is out of sight out of mind. Also chain makes total sense as when applying even a little torque the chain will have tension and not bind and when at a slow idle that's link will not straighten out and be forced in to place causing a noise.

Personally anytime I go on a bridge and I can hear chain noise I know I'm due for a lube. I'm also in Iowa so I dont always wear a Helment and can hear these things better.

Yup yup in Texas. No helmet law here either. But I can here it thru my helmet. Yup yup front gear will be checked. I have the stock I can put back on if it's bad. But I'm almost 100% on the chain as well

If u have tight spots in your chain it needs to be replaced i would change the sprockets also just part of owning a high horsepower bike with torque there hard on chains if you have a heavy hand:)

If u have tight spots in your chain it needs to be replaced i would change the sprockets also just part of owning a high horsepower bike with torque there hard on chains if you have a heavy hand:)

No doubt. I am back out of town so I can't take her apart to see how many teeth are on the front sprocket. It says it's got 13k miles now but the gear ratio is throwing that now as well. I'm usually doing 80 when someone else is doing 70

Ok so took my bike to dealer today for the above noise. They said my chain was to loose. After I left I was worse than it was before I brought back in. Now I get home and lift the rear. I'm rolling the wheel and feeling the chain. It appears to be tight in one spot and loose in the others. Now my question is. If it were the chain. Why does it only do it at a slow roll and as from the video you can see it stops once idled up a bit. I figured the chain is the problem. But seems it would be a constant problem not just a slow roll problem. Any able to help me out? I've read other post but only thing I saw was replacing the gears and chain.
I concur with the other crew, sounds like chain wear to me. how old is chain?. usually when you replace the chain you check both sprockets. example : chain usually will last if looked after around 45000kms , if it's on its 2nd chain then replace both sprockets as teeth will be worn. did previous owner replace chain,how old is bike? has it been (chain ) been regularly lubes? usually every 600 kms if ridden hard-ish

I concur with the other crew, sounds like chain wear to me. how old is chain?. usually when you replace the chain you check both sprockets. example : chain usually will last if looked after around 45000kms , if it's on its 2nd chain then replace both sprockets as teeth will be worn. did previous owner replace chain,how old is bike? has it been (chain ) been regularly lubes? usually every 600 kms if ridden hard-ish
Further to that , I looked at all my service records on my last 2 gen2s ( 2011,2014) on my 2011 I replaced the chain at 51000kms and on my 2014 when I traded it in (June 2016) at 62500kms the original chain was still on, if you ride on Dusty roads a lot you need to clean it as the dust will dry up the O-rings thus causing tension spots on the chain

No doubt. I am back out of town so I can't take her apart to see how many teeth are on the front sprocket. It says it's got 13k miles now but the gear ratio is throwing that now as well. I'm usually doing 80 when someone else is doing 70

That's 12.5% that's a bit about the normal error for these bikes but it could be possible. Might want to look into a speedohealer. For no other reason just to keep the odometer closer to correct.

Sounds like chain slap to me to. When you are idling theres no 'Pull' on the chain so it slaps about. Put throttle on and its enough to tighten the chain and stop the noise.

+1 on new chain and sprockets

Wish I knew how old it was. I'm guessing with the rear extension links were added or a new chain. Didn't get a service record when I bought her.

Sounds like chain slap to me to. When you are idling theres no 'Pull' on the chain so it slaps about. Put throttle on and its enough to tighten the chain and stop the noise.

+1 on new chain and sprockets
I've adjust tight and loose same results. I'll be replacing both.

you need to pull the chain and soak it in diesel fuel for 24 hours...Then check all the links...If still tight ones replace the chain.

you need to pull the chain and soak it in diesel fuel for 24 hours...Then check all the links...If still tight ones replace the chain.
Thanks I am just going to order a new chain and gear set. But if that works maybe not. Want to ride before it gets to cold here in houston

Back