6th gear noise

Greygoose

Registered
Hi All-
Just wondering if anyone notices a little different sound when in 6th gear than the other gears? It's not really a bad noise-it's like a very slight whine.Doesn't do it in any of the other gears,tranny works great.
Mike

At this point I am more impressed with your hearing than anything. That sound is easy to get rid of though, aftermarket pipes :whistle:

On a serious note: I have no clue on a possible answer.

Hmm, somebody will chime in and know the answer. You are on the Hayabusa Encyclopedia page here so the answers will be coming.:thumbsup:

You are going too slow...like 3k on the tach. Go faster or get louder exhaust :thumbsup:

When you 'go' through the gears, you are probably shifting @ 4-5k and then you putt putt around in 6th and are hearing some chain or tire noise...'ride her like you stole her' :beerchug:

Last edited:
That's the noise she makes in complaint of you not riding her harder....

Seriously, mine only does that when the tension on the tranny, chail...etc isn't tight under load. I think what you're describing is completely normal.

Ok-it only does it under a load.It's not loud or anything-its there though-you can hear it.Sounds sorta like a cross between a whine and a hiss.And only in 6th.I'll run it-I don't think its anything bad.I hope.Thanks guys,
Mike

Check your chain tension for the heck of it. You might be a tad loose.

I'd ride it, besides who needs 6th :laugh:

Ok-it only does it under a load.It's not loud or anything-its there though-you can hear it.Sounds sorta like a cross between a whine and a hiss.And only in 6th.I'll run it-I don't think its anything bad.I hope.Thanks guys,
Mike

Spray some chain lube on your chain and see if the noise changes :whistle:

I don't know how many miles you have on the chain, but they start making noise with miles, and when the clicking starts and you get to the weekly adjustments you're done. Good Luck.

I was just playing around like that-that's not how I drive it all the time.It does it at any speed-it gets hard to hear it though because of wind noise up around 50 and up.

How many miles on your chain ???

How often do you clean and lube it ???

I see a trend here...don't you? Chain?...Chain?.....CHAIN!? Mine was ready for replacement at 12000 miles. You are probably due.

35-40 mph in SIXTH gear ???

That is crazy, but correct according to the manual that comes with the bike.
How many of us shift like this?:
So we should be in 6th between 37 and 31 mph?
WOW

Scan10001_edited.jpg

Last edited:
You only need 4 gears. you can do 70 in secound gear and it sounds great with the two brother's slip on.:beerchug:

Back