Problem engaging in 6th gear

Cuffee

Donating Member
Registered
I am noticing more and more that I am having problems engaging in 6th gear. When I go to engage into 6th gear it doesn't go. It will just make a clicking noise. I can tell it is not in gear. So then I slow down and then force it into gear. Is problem due to me by letting off the clutch to quickly? Again this only happens in 6th gear. Has anyone else had this problem?

i think its better just to slow down to a stop and then downshift instead of slamming it into 6th
I have hit a nuetral between 5th and 6th but it never made a noise

So I guess what you are saying is that it's rider error not the bike. I will pay more attention to how I shift into 6th gear. For further clarification about the noise...It's not a loud noise. I think it's the noise from the gears turning.

UM, Yeah Basically the consesus thus far is shift firmly, positively, and maybe adjust your clutch lever. If the bike is brand new, give it and yourself some time, it improves dramatically after your first oil change. There is still a 5-6 hole that you can fall into though if your not careful, so shift with authority and you should be OK.

I've had the same problem on my '04 LE. I just figured, after 2 years on the Electraglide, whadda want for 10K.

My 04 LE did it a couple of times, till I realized it was me and I was just getting sloppy and lazy on the 5->6 shift.  I figured out that it was because during 1->3 or 4th, I grabbed the gears hard with authority because I was accelerating hard, then by the time I got to the 5->6 shift I had eased up a bit and gotten softer on the shift.  Just my $.02.

<!--EDIT|usn04limited
Reason for Edit: "Can't spell"|1099917572 -->

So I guess what you are saying is that it's rider error not the bike. I will pay more attention to how I shift into 6th gear. For further clarification about the noise...It's not a loud noise. I think it's the noise from the gears turning.
No I said LUBE!!! the piviot. The factory has none on it!!! then move the lever down becuase it is too high out of the crate
crazy.gif

It's good to hear that I'm not the only one that has fallen into a Neutral Hole between 5th & 6th. I've got an '04 LE and I've done that a coupla times.

I have the same problem shifting in 4th, the gear shift goes up till it will not go anymore but I have to let off the shift lever and shift again and then it engages. One time on a hard accel I let off slightly on the gas, speed shifted up till it stopped, got back on the gas and then it made the transition into the other gear mid way through continuing to accel. Made a horrible noise like my chain popped off and I just pulled in the clutch and braced for impact because I thought forsure I threw a chain!!!!! I know I have something going on because it has never gotten any better since I had the bike. 912 miles Two oil changes later. I am just wondering if perhaps it could be something to do with the clutch? I never speed shift the thing anymore and have to double click the gear shifter to get it in to 4th using the clutch. Basically two upward movements with the foot to engage 4th. I mean I can pull the clutch in and jam the gear shifter up until it stops and still no go, unless I release my foot and upshift again at which time it shifts like it is suppose to. Any suggestions?

I have the same problem.I have an 03 and it's done since new.I've taken it back to the dealed 3 or 4 times and even had someone from Suzuki Canada look at it and they all say it's fine.I've changed the oil to syn. moved the shifted down two or three times.I've installed a shift star as the dealer said that would fix the problem,it didn't.I have 5700km on my bike.The only way to fix the problem between 5th and 6th is to shift without the clutch.I've been told that shifting this way is fine.I've been told after time it will work itself out.I've still got hopes it will work right.Or I just might sell,getting tired of the problem.

On my one and only top speed test-------------i was in 5th and tried sixth, but at over 170 mph---
it did not want to go in----Hmmmm---I got into 6th, but at a lower speed....150 or so----took forever to climb to speed, and got tunnel vision and gave up--- so i GPS'd at 176 in 5th...not parked but no record-------------HA!

That neutral thing between 5th and 6th can be a killer when it happens. Had the problem for first month of ownership and then it dwindled off. I figured it was because I have become a lot more aggressive when riding.

Damn, I think I've used sixth gear once in the 8,000 miles I put on the bike. did it to cruise 100 miles on the interstate. I've cranked mine up to 150 mph for a second on a little used tollroad, but I was still in 4th gear. Where do you ride where you can stay at speed long enought to need 6th gear?

I have hit that false netural too between 5th and 6th on my 04, only 5th and 6th. Not sure what the cause is, make a click and feels just like it's going into 6th. My other bike had a similar problem, but it was between 4th and 5th, I think all bikes have one some where.

On my one and only top speed test-------------i was in 5th and tried sixth, but at over 170 mph---
it did not want to go in----Hmmmm---I got into 6th, but at a lower speed....150 or so----took forever to climb to speed, and got tunnel vision and gave up--- so i GPS'd at 176 in 5th...not parked but no record-------------HA!
Tunnel vision and gave up?

Didn't you watch biker boyz, you want the tunnel vision
laugh.gif

Back