Chain Lube

In a word, no. Search is your friend. Many opinions are out there, WD-40, Motul, Du-pont chain saver. Again, search and form your own opinion.

I've used Maxima chain wax for years on several bikes and get great mileage out of my chains. BTW, WD 40 is a SOLVENT and NOT a chain lube. It can wash away the lube in O and X ring chains.

the first chain wax i used was suzuki chain wax and well...... it was like putting molassis on the chain.. it was God awful. Then a friend suggested bel-ray. Never looked anyplace else after i used it once. Its fantastic stuff. no one drop of sling...

I've been using Motul for a couple of years,usually spray it on/leave it overnight/wipe off excess the next day with a little WD-40 and results in very little fling off.Really about the only thing lubing does to today's o-ring chains is to keep them from rusting,since it's not going to penetrate the area sealed in by the o-rings anyway(though I imagine it does help reduce a little friction and extend sprocket life).

I have used Maxima chain wax on my busa since new. It now has over 70K miles and on it's second chain since new.

Not going to throw any gasoline on the WD-40 as chain lube fire, but I do have a question here. What kind of Mileage would most expect from an average set of Sprockets and Chain? Assuming normal maintenance of course. Just curious.

Not going to throw any gasoline on the WD-40 as chain lube fire, but I do have a question here. What kind of Mileage would most expect from an average set of Sprockets and Chain? Assuming normal maintenance of course. Just curious.

I'm just starting my third chain and second set of sprockets after ten years and 58,000 miles. I do use WD40 on a rag to clean the side plates and rub across the rollers but I do NOT spray it on the chain so it gets past the O rings and dissolves the lube the O rings are protecting.

Your chain and sprockets could last the life of the bike if you perform regular maintenance on it. Anyone who uses 3 chains and sprockets in less than 50K mikes is doing it wrong.

Reactions: Zee
It’s kind of funny/cool that in this day and age of 200hp motorcycles people can actually have somewhat reasonable expectations for Tires to last >6000 miles, Chains and Sprockets to last >20k etc. Technology Marches on!

My 2 cents worth is that pure and simple a chain “kit” is only as good as the cleaning and care it receives. In my rather extensive motorcycling experience I have tried all kinds of things to do just that. Various kinds of brushes, Cleaners, Lubes that aren’t supposed to fling off, yet wind up on everything but the chain etc. etc. In the end whatever works for you is what works for you.

For me personally the single best tool I have come up with is an elevated work stand; which gets the bike up to a level where you can easily inspect, clean and lube everything far better than Sitting/lying on the concrete. I made mine from 2X4’s and Plywood and it has served me well for a long time. I designed it to break down, fold and stow under my workbench when not in use, but frankly, that is pretty seldom. By unbolting the Chock it allows me to put my bike on both (Stem and Swing-arm) stands and clean everything stem to stern.

Back