Chain cleaning study

Wish he would have used simple green in that study,
Me too but I apparently don't 'immerse' my chain the way he did with those O rings. Maybe my chain isn't as clean as some but I do scrub the side plates clean and run a Simple Green soaked towel over (and over) the rollers and sprocket to clean them up but never 'soak' the rollers in anything the way he did.

WD40 sprayed on an old sock ... wipe sides & rollers. had always been leary on soaking the heck outta it in fear of dissapating the lube inside the link(getting by the o-rings) so far it seems to work

I use simple green to als clean my bike. I put it in a spreay bottle. wet my bike with the hose then spray the sh!t outta it. let it sit and hose it off. I works much like that S100 stuff. You will need to rewax after thought. works great to clean chrome the same way I described....

Nicely done.  

It's a great start.  More and other testing could be done.

Simple Green won't mess up your paint.  Also good for cleaning chains but pricey.  Kerosene works better anyway.

--Wag--
+1
this is what the manual says to use, plus my local suzuki mech's use it also...and its not that expensive...

I just get my mother in law drunk, wave the chain in front of her, mention her daughter married below her station in life, and her caustic tongue will burn the crud off anything.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

cheers
ken
You crazy Canadians.......(LOL)

Thinking of running the Gaspe again soon.

If I get the Mother-in-law drunk will she clean my chain too ?

How's fuel costs per litre up North these days ?
in Alberta here it is $1.32per/L so $5.28 gallon...  
wtf.gif
You guys in Alberta are lucky, great scenery, close to the rockies for a nice ride on hwy 3 (loved Osoyoos) and you got cheaper gas. Payed $ 1.47/l on Wednesday.

smile.gif

smile.gif

What you have to watch out for with Simple Green and other such cleaners is that you make sure you dry off the chain immediately when you're done cleaning, otherwise, you could generate a rust problem.

--Wag--

I found that paraffin lamp oil works really good, and it's cheap. I just put it in a squirt bottle, soak the chain, scrub it with an old paint brush, soak it again, then wipe it down with a rag. I then ride it around the block to get the chain warm and soak it down with PJ1 chain lube.

Its kinda messy, but seems to work pretty good.

kerosene, this way. leave a nice clean looking chain, good on the o-rings plus got some good fumes to huff on.

I get 30,000+miles out of my chains and sprockets using wd-40 for cleaning and PJ1 black label.

Good enough for me
winkold.gif

What you have to watch out for with Simple Green and other such cleaners is that you make sure you dry off the chain immediately when you're done cleaning, otherwise, you could generate a rust problem.

--Wag--
Absolutely, I blow mine off with compressed air. good point!

Diesel fuel worked well for me last week. I would have used kerosene, but all I had was diesel in my garage. Kerosene is harder to come by.

Vancouver BC gas 1.48 per litre
sad.gif
but I fill up in Blaine using my nexus card saves me approx 25 bucks a fill in my car
bowdown.gif

Not sure why anybody would use anything other than kerosene, it's cheap, works well, and dries quickly...one 5 gallon drum and your set for life.

I use Motorex Chain Clean 611 to clean and Repsol Moto chain lube.

My chain is always clean, never picks up dirt and I'm at 15,000 miles on this chain/sprocket combo and no visible signs of wear.

This is with an average of about 400-600 miles per week.

Back