Chain Broke AGAIN!!!!!

Too tight---maybe to loose----Like NE said rivit link---and lined up, or pay the price. I bang on mine all the time--so far so good--snapping chains is a ludicrus pain in the arse.

Sorry lotus....we're havin fun at your expense.....just not right......
he takes it so well...... I say we adopt him as the Board Stepson......
I was thinking mascot.
smile.gif

Even I'm starting to feel sorry for him now. I think we all had a friend like him growing up. Nice but dopey kid gets a new (and very expensive) bicycle for Christmas. By April the seat is tore up, handle bars slightly bent and half the gears no longer work.

By May the front wheel is bent, a pedal is missing, brakes no longer function, it's been spray painted a different color and the chain keeps falling off.

June rolls around and he just loses it somewhere...not really sure where it went?
drooling3.gif

Next day your mom is yelling upstairs that Kris is here to see you. You go to the front door:
"Doooooooooood! Can I borrow your bike, my mom wants me to run to the store to pick up some bread".

You:

wow.gif
HELL NO!

Mom:
"How dare you be so rude to your friend! Of course you can borrow it Kris".

Few hours pass and Kris is back at the door:

"Doooooooooood! You ain't gonna believe what happened! I was in front of Krispy Kreme's and........."
jump9.gif

Lotus,

I can understand the desire to fix your bike yourself, but you're missing something (loose exhaust, tight chain, who knows what else). If you put it back together yourself again, please take it and have it checked out before you start riding it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry lotus....we're havin fun at your expense.....just not right......
he takes it so well...... I say we adopt him as the Board Stepson......
I was thinking mascot.
smile.gif

Even I'm starting to feel sorry for him now. I think we all had a friend like him growing up. Nice but dopey kid gets a new (and very expensive) bicycle for Christmas. By April the seat is tore up, handle bars slightly bent and half the gears no longer work.

By May the front wheel is bent, a pedal is missing, brakes no longer function, it's been spray painted a different color and the chain keeps falling off.

June rolls around and he just loses it somewhere...not really sure where it went?
drooling3.gif

Next day your mom is yelling upstairs that Kris is here to see you. You go to the front door:
"Doooooooooood! Can I borrow your bike, my mom wants me to run to the store to pick up some bread".

You:

wow.gif
HELL NO!

Mom:
"How dare you be so rude to your friend! Of course you can borrow it Kris".

Few hours pass and Kris is back at the door:

"Doooooooooood! You ain't gonna believe what happened! I was in front of Krispy Kreme's and........."
lmao.. hahah ... oh well. #### happens. oh and mike i never called that guy becasue i fixed it

No offence but that is the point, I don't think it is fixed???

I run 205lbs of torque on my Dragon with no chain problems you are running about 125-130 T. Look for the little things first. I am not advertising for business, I just don't want to see you keep going down. I would like to see you on the road every once and a while.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123644779 -->

Last edited by a moderator:
oh BTW my name is Kris:)
Luckly the only damage this time from the chain was a broken cluch cover and shaft. I swear i only had about a 1.5 inch of play at the worst time... After i put the chain on.. maybe a day later i had to ajust it agian because it was about 3" of play...? Maybe i should give up on fixing bikes,

Make sure that the wheel and sproket are dead center??

What type of master link you using clip or rivit.  Only use rivit.

Don't use the chain center marks on the adjusters, use a micrometer or string to make sure it is centered.

What the hell did you have done and by who??

Did you get the engine back in the right place after you welded the shifter??

Did you check the mounts to make sure they are not bent??

Have it done by an expert and you will not have to have it done 6 times.  It is going to cost you lots more if you keep going on like this.  I told you where to go and who to have a look at the bike.  Did you call??
Oh yeah .. I did check everything to make sure it was aligned.. Do you think the rear tire could have been off? I went out to check the alignment, and there was alot of alunimum and metal dust on the swingarm and such... I didnt take the engine out to weld the shifter, just dropped it down an inch to get the plate off.. I didnt call that guy becasue i figured i had fixed it. ( can u PM me again and let me know)? just incase

oh BTW my name is Kris:)    
Luckly the only damage this time from the chain was a broken cluch cover and shaft.  I swear i only had about a 1.5 inch of play at the worst time... After i put the chain on.. maybe a day later i had to ajust it agian because it was about 3" of play...? Maybe i should give up on fixing bikes,
Kris,

Have you read the manual? Chain tension should be between 0.75 and 1.25 inch. You also need to torque the axle nut to 72-73 ft lbs.

I don't know if 1.5 inch is off far enough to cause the chain to break, but 1.5" to 3" in a day sounds like the rear axle is moving around.

I dont get it.. Maybe im born with bad luck. It broke again.. abrand new chain and about 10 hours of work.. 2 days later. Going down I395 the chain let go. I dont know where it is.. I was doing about 130 and i dont know what to do now
sad.gif
dude, the very fact that you are still alive and able to post these little gems with a straight face is a testament to your GOOD luck. Find a good shop and let someone who knows what they are doing work on your bike. If you can't afford it, maybe you should consider another hobby... like base-jumping. At least that would teach you the value of proper maintenance and use of your equipment... and you'll be going at least as fast as the 'busa.

+1 to mascot vote

<!--EDIT|expat
Reason for Edit: "böse, böse, böse..."|1123683919 -->

If you do decide to fix it yourself make yourself a note so you'll remember to tighten the axle nut........
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|cjaj_70
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123682544 -->

What I want to know is.................

When the chain let go at 130 mph, was he flying through and intersection, A$$ on the handlebars, in a 12:00 wheelie, in front of a crowd of cheering onlookers.............wearing only shorts and T-Shirt?
rock.gif
?

When the chain let go at 130 mph, was he flying through and intersection, A$$ on the handlebars, in a 12:00 wheelie, in front of a crowd of cheering onlookers.............wearing only shorts and T-Shirt?
rock.gif
?
Don't be so hard on the guy. I'm sure he was wearing shorts, a t-shirt AND flip-flops.

You have so many part falling off your bike I'm starting to think it's a Harley...
thats funny right there I don't care who you are. hahahaha so true my friend eric is getting ready to get rid of his harley cause everytime he goes and rides something falls off or breaks hope your luck changes soon lotus

rock.gif
?
Don't be so hard on the guy. I'm sure he was wearing shorts, a t-shirt AND flip-flops.
Might I add and the hat on backwards with Oakley shades...

Just joshing.
Kris, I had my rubber changed a while back and noticed that the chain got loose after a few hundred miles of riding. Tightened it up torqued down the axle nut and didn't have any issues afterwards. you may want to make sure the alignment is dead on and that the axle nut is torqued correctly.
Bad luck with bike, but you have one guardian angel riding your shoulder.

Back