Chain adjusting

Sako

Registered
How often do most of you have to adjust your chain - tighten it up? obviously it varies based off of your riding style, but somewhere in the middle.

300, 500, 1000, 2000 miles?

I dont follow a preset time gap... I tightten it when it gets loose! Check it regulary though
smile.gif

First time was at 300 miles as it was pretty loose. I had to adjust again when I did my 600 mile service.

So far I'm up to about 4,000 miles and I've never had to adjust it again since the 600 mile mark.

After the initial break in they pretty much stop stretching. I clean it with WD40 and use Chainwax on it every 500 to 600 miles.

Make sure you check the chain while sitting on the bike. Check it often even every ride, you will not have to adjust more then each 500miles or more.

How can you tell when the chainis loose??? Is there a certain amount of deflection you look for? I never can tell when the chain is loose, what do you guys use as an indicator??? Thanks

After the initial break in they pretty much stop stretching. I clean it with WD40 and use Chainwax on it every 500 to 600 miles.
Turbo-Torch... I would recommend you to stop using WD40 for cleaning the chain, i know it does a great job but it kills the o'rings inside the links on a long term basis. WD40 is not a lubricant at all and it damages more than it helps.

I tell you that because i use to do the same and my chains lasted from 50 to 70% less of what they should have (back then on ZX11).

The best is Kerosene, because it cleans and drys right away, then you use your chain wax and bingo!!!

...Just an advice...

PS: when checking chain tension, find the tighter spot on the chain first, if you adjust it at the softer spot, when passing at the tighter one the chain will be awfully too tight and wear faster. Chains never wear perfectly even...

<!--EDIT|_ZeF
Reason for Edit: "another advice added"|1115612406 -->

Back