Chains?

chancho196

Registered
<span style='color:blue'></span>
Out of interest? How long do drive chains on the Busa's last for? Mine is a 2000 model and is now on 19,000 miles. I've always kept the chain clean (toothbrush and WD40) and lubed and it doesn't appear to wear or hardly ever need adjusting. There are no seized links or rollers. The sprockets are still in perfect shape. Do any of you change them as a matter of course or wait till they've stretched or worn badly?
Just interested as I don't want to suddenly see it snap!!!

If you can afford a new one, be safe and get it. It all depends on how hard you crack the throttle open and what kind of roads you ride on. If you do hole shots and ride on dirty, gravel roads....it is that time. The stock chains suck no matter what. Some people get lucky, some feel lucky and later wish they would of upgraded. My .02

At 19k, it's time. Remember to change the chain and both sprockets at the same time so the wear rate remains consistant. I chose DID 530 zvm x-ring and made the change to a 42t jt steel rear (40 is stock) with 17t stock front, all nice stuff. This is an area you do not want to cheap out on, especially if you like to run in the triple digits....get the best. If money is no object, check out the sidewinder tri-metal rear, about $150. EK, DID or really any of the top brand chains rated above 10,000 will do. Some deals on hardracing.com, good folks!

I waited about as long as I thought I could (15K) my chain just kept getting sloppier and sloppier... I agree that you should cheap out on the chain - I went with steel JT sprockets and an EK 530 ZZZ, didn't need it, but wanted to try it. If you are looking for good stuff, contact Street and Track or Jester; they can get you decent deals on both. BTW, if you do your own maintenance, you'll need a 32 mm socket for the front sprocket, red locktite, and a 36 mm socket for the rear axle nut, as well as a cotter pin...
smile.gif

Hey I know it has been asked before, what is the best chain/sprocket to run on a Busa with a 200 rear wheel? I think my chain is on the last leg/teeth!

Picture_004.jpg

(MC MUSTANG @ Aug. 08 2006,16:47) I waited about as long as I thought I could (15K) my chain just kept getting sloppier and sloppier... I agree that you should cheap out on the chain - I went with steel JT sprockets and an EK 530 ZZZ, didn't need it, but wanted to try it.  If you are looking for good stuff, contact Street and Track or Jester; they can get you decent deals on both.  BTW, if you do your own maintenance, you'll need a 32 mm socket for the front sprocket, red locktite, and a 36 mm socket for the rear axle nut, as well as a cotter pin...
smile.gif
+1 !!!

Back