Chain tensioning problem

Wag

Evil Demon Busa Rider
Donating Member
Registered
I forgot to mention this during my last maintenance project.

First, brief background. I've always had trouble retensioning my chain. I would loosen the axle bolt, adjust the position of the tensioning adjustors so the chain was to spec or a little looser. Then, as I would tighten the axle bolt, the chain would tighten up as tight as a friggin' rubber band. So, I'd have to loosen it all up again and then try to guess as to how loose I could set the chain to allow for the inevitable tightening of the chain during the tightening of the axle bolt.

It was maddening. A 3 minute job taking about 20 minutes.

During the last maintenance project, I noticed that the damn wheel wouldn't suck up to the very front of the adjuster. I was finally getting ticked off enough to throw things but at the last minute, it occurred to me that I could release the brake arm bolt (or whatever you call it) and get the wheel to move up for me. See the picture below.

Sure enough, it worked. It suddenly dawned on me that that same bolt may have been the cause of all my prior grief. I left the bolt loose until I finished with the chain adjustments and sure enough, when I went to tighten the axle bolt, no mysterious tightening of the chain.

Awesome!!!

I wouldn't have posted this except I've see that problem posted on here before and didn't see a real good answer to it. Try it next time. Just loosen that bolt (see picture) before you start to retension your chain. Remember to retighten it, obviously!!!

--Wag--

And no, I don't remember seeing anything about this in the owner's manual OR the service manual OR the Haynes manual! Maybe I didn't look hard enough!
biggrin.gif
I learn better the hard way anyhow!

Yep--you're right. I was having the same problems and then I loosened the bolt. MAGIC--it worked!!! I don't remember reading anything 'bout it!

(heavybusa @ Jan. 20 2007,05:56)
beerchug.gif
Good stuff, now go wash your bike
laugh.gif
I may actually do that. My ride got snowed out.

--Wag--

Check out page 2-21 and 2-22 in the service manual.

Its a torque link bolt.

(Lamb busa @ Jan. 20 2007,10:02) how far up did u get that axle?
Gawd, there's about 10 marks. Move up 5 and there's a long mark, move up 5 more and there's another long mark. Couldn't get it to move up past that any further.

I'm actually considering cutting another link out of the chain and moving the wheel ALL the way forward. I just don't know if I'll have enough slack at that point.

Frankly, I'm skeered.

--Wag--

(Over_Easy @ Jan. 20 2007,08:30)
(GIXERHP @ Jan. 20 2007,07:22)
(heavybusa @ Jan. 20 2007,04:56)
beerchug.gif
Good stuff, now go wash your bike
laugh.gif
+10
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
+20 Good God man, have some pride.
laugh.gif
I'm actually highly proud of the fact that I have NO chicken strips.

Dead24.jpg

Ride it. Don't wash it!

--Wag--

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Going to have to try this when I put my wheels back on. Good tip there Louis. Clean bikes ride better!

I was just thinking I should join the Charlesbusa, Wash Time Should Be Spent Riding Club.

Dead12.gif

LMAO

--Wag--

I am prety sure that the book mentions breaking tq on the tq arm during chain adjustment - and then the Tq is like 25 ftlbs or something... I gotta go look...

(MC MUSTANG @ Jan. 21 2007,08:56) I am prety sure that the book mentions breaking tq on the tq arm during chain adjustment - and then the Tq is like 25 ftlbs or something... I gotta go look...
Dammit. Now you're making me have to go look too.

--Wag--

As for everyone saying I can make it go faster by washing it, when am I ever going to top it out anyway?

--Wag--

(BlueHaya @ Jan. 20 2007,10:39) Check out page 2-21 and 2-22 in the service manual.  

Its a torque link bolt.
Yep, I thought it was in there - wasn't sure until I just looked.

Back