center stand

Yep, I got one. Love it. Makes chain maintenance easy. Kind of a pain to install (who'd a thunk?) but worth it (IMO).

I've heard it's a real pain to install. If you're only using it to do maintenance while at home, then why bother with the hassle (and extra weight)? A rear stand is just as useful.

If you don't get one, make sure you do the kickstand mod!

i put the center stand on about a month ago, and was surprised to find that i had to loosen all the exhaust header bolts( i.e. cut up knuckles and bent radiator fins) to move the head pipes around to get the stand through bolts into place, but it is well worth the effort.

one thing to keep in mind though, and that is you will not reuse the cool underbelly fairling piece that sits right in front of the rear tire.

as i recall it took me a couple of hours to take everything apart and then put it all back together again. but now i can wash both sides of the bike.

I love having one. I left a tube disconnected so I had a hard time. If I had to do it again (assuming I had not done it yet) I would let the dealership charge me for 1.5 hours rather than do it myself. Since I have done it (over and over again to try and find my initial problem) I could get it done in about 45 minutes. As for having it, it's the greatest addition I have made. Very quick corner transitions can make the spring on the stand push out and scrape the stand even though you aren't leaned over that far. It'll scare you until you get used to it.

Installing the center stand is a hassle in that the pipes need to be loosened at the header bolt to provide clearance for the stop bolt that mounts to the frame. Aside from that, installation is straight forward.

Whether to install a center stand or not really depends on how you plan to ride. If your riding is mainly day rides, and you will be able to do all your maintenance in your garage, then I would buy a rear pit stand and forego the center stand. However, if you will be sport touring on the bike and will need to do chain maintenance during trips, then a center stand is the only way to go.

100% agreed with bikerdup. I do a lot of touring and lubing and adjusting a chain without a centrestand is a real pain in the rear, I am super glad to have my centrestand and wouldn’t want to live without it also it is less clutter around and less hassle (risk of dumping bike) than using a rear stand, though not near as trick!
biggrin.gif

It costs $99 + shipping thru various vendors (I got mine from Ron Ayers) and the dealer is supposed to charge 1.5 hours to install.

I used to wrench for a living. When I saw the instructions say to remove the exhaust system, I was skeptical. Turns out only a little clearance is needed to insert the bolts. So with only the mufflers removed, I removed the bolt where the pipes come together and with a cheater bar inserted into the exhaust pipe, I bent the headers down enough to get everything installed without even removing the fairings. Suzuki did some real thinking for the center stand. Now I know why there is a hole in the rear tail just past the seat - so you can hold on to the frame to set the bike on the center stand. I am very happy with it.

...if you will be sport touring on the bike and will need to do chain maintenance during trips, then a center stand is the only way to go.
I'll politely disagree.

A couple years ago I bought a Quick Stand before heading to the Smokies with my 954. This thing is a breeze to use. It allows for quick and easy chain maintenance while on the road, takes up no room in your tank bag, and doesn't add weight (or a tendency to touch down while cornering) like a center stand does.

http://www.motorcycleradar.com/quick_stand.htm

I use a forward handle Pit Bull at home though . . .

You're right - that Quick Stand is a great idea. For just $42.35 including shipping, I'd hate to be without one and just finished ordering one.

Ed

Back