Caught in the rain

stkr00

Slower Traffic Keep Right ! ! &#
Donating Member
Registered
I got caught in the rain last night coming home from Indiana. It wasn't bad at first, but then it got to where you couldn't hardly see. I've ridden my H-D in the rain without any problems, but I'm not sure how it might affect the Busa with the air intakes on the fairing.

I would venture to guess that Suzuki designed the air box with an air/water separator, but I have no way of knowing since I'm new to the Busa. The bike ran fine, and handled really well except for that one wiggle when I went to pass and slipped on one of the white stripes :eek: That was a little scary.

Any ideas/suggestions/information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

There's a little clear plastic bulb on the air box that you can take off and clean out but it doesn't drain all the time. I figure the bottom half of the air box and the filter would catch most of the water that would enter through the ram air tubes. I don't really think much if any water would actually make it to the stacks.

I think you'd pretty much have to take the garden hose straight on to get water into the stacks. I'm always careful when I wash my bike not to direct the water right at the intakes.

I have gotten stuck in some pretty heavy rain with no problems.

Thanks BulletTrain. :beerchug:

Do you know of anyone that might have an exploded view diagram of the induction system they could e-mail/post?

I just don't want to worry if I get caught in the rain again.

Jim

Thanks everyone!!! :bounce:

I can sleep well at night again. At least I'm not the only one who's ridden the busa in the rain. Now I just have to spend half the day cleaning the bike. :sad:

Thaks again,
Jim

Tell me what you want pictures of and I will see what I can do. You want pictures of the box or what? :super: I'm home sick as a dog today and bored out of my mind. I could take the camera out to the garage and see what I can get if you tell me what you want to see.

BulletTrain,

Sorry to hear you're sick. Get well soon.

I'm looking more for assembly manual drawings that show how everything is put together. I know they have them for Chevelles, but wasn't sure about the busa. I don't need you take apart your bike just for a picture. Mainly wanted to see some type of sectional view of the box so that I could see the air flowpath.

No big deal.

Thanks, and get well,
Jim

The rain started here today and doesn't look like it will let up for a couple of days. I've got mine up on the stand and just replaced the stator cover. I don't like riding in the rain, so I have to make it good for something!

I looked in the shop manual but didn't really see a good diagram of the air intake path. If I run across anything I'll be sure to send it your way. ;)

Jim,

I found a photo on the net (didn't have to take my bike apart ;) )that shows a pretty good view of the air box. You should be able to understand basically how the air flows by looking at this pic.

The view here is looking down at the top of the air box as if you are sitting on the bike. In the upper right and left corners of the photo you see the foam seals that connect to the ram air ports that come through the frame from the ram air tubes. The air box has two chambers. The air enters the bottom chamber box through the ram air ports I just pointed out. The air then comes up into the top chamber through the rectangle hole that is almost in the center of this photo. At the back of the upper chamber (bottom of this pic) there are four intake stacks. The air is pulled through these stacks from the upper chamber and through the throttle bodies to the motor.

The air filter seals around the ummm, almost triangle shaped ridge around the rectangle hole. So, virtually all of the air that comes to the top chamber has to pass through the filter. The filter should catch any water that makes it that far. As you can see, there is a drain hole in one corner of this area that would allow built up water to drain back to the bottom chamber.

Hope the pic and explaination help you understand what is going on.

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1067814205 -->

P0000410.jpg

I found a photo on the net (didn't have to take my bike apart ;) )that shows a pretty good view of the air box.
if ya look at the intake stacks, they are high enough they wont inhale any water.
by the time it all gets there, shouldnt be any 'mist' to go in the throttle bodies.

a nos fogger system would be a good 180 degree comparison...
it creates a mist that stays in a 'vapor' state.

long story short, dont worry about riding in the rain. 'cept for the roads and lack of visibility.

Back