carpenter head

bigbusabigbusa

Registered
posted this in general forum and didnt know how to move it to here so i apologize for being bone head. anyways im sending my head to carpenter next week and as ive been reading he recommends 425 to 445 cams in his heads. i have a gen 1 1507 with web 395/378 cams as this is a bike i ride daily on the streets. my concern is that with porting designed for cams that large im worried that my cams will be to small to work well with bobs porting. i know very little about this stuff so i could be very wrong about my concerns. but if my cams wont work well with his porting im asking for your knowledge of who i can or should use for my porting needs with my size cams. thank you

Don't want to sound sarcastic...shoot a email to carpenter.....cause thats a tough question for us to help you with. I hear his headwork is second to none. I read about his head mod and he say's removing the exhaust cam and putting a stock intake cam there, porting, redoing the valve seats, shimming the valves for you. with a full pipe and a powercommander will get you 200+ hp's on a stock 1298 cc. Good luck on your build.
Ps drooling about your 1507 cc...any issues with that..hard to start, gets too hot. Torque has to be nut'z.

Agreed, shoot them an email.
As for the cams they are a little small for a 1507, but when Carpenter does your head, he can set it up correctly for larger cams. The cam's you have now are the largest you can run without pushing the guides down.

Pace master yes you are correct that torque is pretty hefty and I love it. It does not overheat and I have run a24volt starter system. It will not start with 12 volts even when cold. I ran cable's to 1000c a car battery and it wouldn't turn it over. Gnbrett you are also correct that his cams are what he suggested using which I do not want to use cams that big in my street bike. I built this bike to be a big torque monster and cams that big would bigger useless under 8000rpm. I ended up going with a porttech head ported for my size cams. Thanks for all your input.

Bill does good work,i had his head on a slip fit w/2intakes & it made in the 190's with crushed header tubes (Brocks street pipe) and 87 octane.

Back