Carpal tunnel syndrome

icehead

Registered
I was thinking of selling or trading my 03GSXR-750 in on a Busa. Mainly beacause I'm starting to develop CTS in both of my wrist/hands. Is the Hayabusa a smoother bike to ride with less vibes and less on/off throttle response? Is anybody riding with this condition?

Hey Icehead,

I've had CTS for many years. I've also ridden many different types/styles of bikes. Recently I've owned a R1, a FZ1 and now I'm the proud owner of a Busa. In every instance, I've expereinced my hands going numb. This is a direct result of CTS and not the aggresive sitting position on the bikes. This even happen riding the FZ1, which has a every less-aggresive sitting position then the other bike mentioned.

In effort to lessen the effects of CTS on the Busa, I've installed Heli-bars to raise the handle bars 1 5/8. My hands still eventually go completely numb, not it takes a longer time period for this to happen.

Otherwise, see your local Doctor to address the problem, or as I have do, learn to live with it and RIDE.

As a side note, dump the 750 and get the Busa, you'll never look back.

JZ1

thanks! finally someone who can relate to what I'm talking about. I wondering if changing bikes was the answer or not. now I know

Busa bias aside, I would suggest heli's or even the convertibars. If you really need a drastic resolution to your problem, the convertibars would do it. A switch to the busa by itself is not going to solve your problem in my opinion.

I put on gel grips and they add about 30-60 minutes to my riding time before my hands go numb. I tried gel gloves but the pad doesn't seem to rest on anything usefull, still get the buzz. Another though that helped me, I think. I moved my controls (brake and clutch) at a more downward angle. When the hands are angled upwards that puts more pressure on the radial nerve, which worsens CPS. Chris

where'd ya get the gel grips? inquiring minds wanna know
wink.gif

heli bars or risers will help take the stress off the median nerve. However, be aware that occupational or other prolonged positions also contribute to CTS (ie. long hours on the computer caused by pressure of the wrist extended while controlling the mouse). Also very important, many people are misdiagnosed with CTS. The only true way to differentiate CTS from cervical radiculopathy (impingment of the nerve roots exiting the cervical spine) or impingement at the elbow is by doing a nerve conduction velocity test at the upper arm, elbow and wrist. Sorry for the rant, but I've seen many patients received CT release when there problem was the result of poor neck & shoulder posture. Good luck.

BD

Back