Cant build clutch pressure

Ice3460

Registered
Hey guys, I had a previous issue a few days ago that I posted.. make a long story short I pressed the clutch in when the pressure plate was off and misaligned my push rod and I couldn't move my clutch handle and broke my sprocket cover when squeezing it. I replaced the sprocket cover and I had to flush the entire clutch system because it was absolutely disgusting... i took the slave cylinder off and cleaned it out. i then took it apart and lightly sanded the cylinder with 1500 to get the nasty crap off the walls.. when i got it back together I could not get fluid to pass through the lines to start to bleed it. I disconnected the master cylinder, plugged it with my finger..pumped the clutch, got pressure, and pumped it again and it squirted out... in my eye actually :) so thats not the problem... i assumed I messed up the seal between the cylinder and piston by sanding it or maybe the seal is just bad being 20 years old.. but it worked fine before I did anything.... Anyway, I just assumed that the slave cylinder was messed up and I replaced that as well today... well of course I get it on ...and I'm having the same problem. I cannot get any pressure in the clutch... The reservoir will not go down at all so im assuming there is no pressure. I just don't know where to go from here because it is a very simple system... master, slave, and lines. I dont see how the lines would randomly go bad... i finally finished my bike after 3 years off the road and i cant even test drive it...someone please help ahhhhhhhhh. Also I do the have the slave cylinder against the push rod..its just hanging from a hanger...i didn't think that would matter and I didn't want to put everything back on again. I put the other one back on with the sprocket cover and push rod and still didn't have pressure the first time

Hey guys, I had a previous issue a few days ago that I posted.. make a long story short I pressed the clutch in when the pressure plate was off and misaligned my push rod and I couldn't move my clutch handle and broke my sprocket cover when squeezing it. I replaced the sprocket cover and I had to flush the entire clutch system because it was absolutely disgusting... i took the slave cylinder off and cleaned it out. i then took it apart and lightly sanded the cylinder with 1500 to get the nasty crap off the walls.. when i got it back together I could not get fluid to pass through the lines to start to bleed it. I disconnected the master cylinder, plugged it with my finger..pumped the clutch, got pressure, and pumped it again and it squirted out... in my eye actually :) so thats not the problem... i assumed I messed up the seal between the cylinder and piston by sanding it or maybe the seal is just bad being 20 years old.. but it worked fine before I did anything.... Anyway, I just assumed that the slave cylinder was messed up and I replaced that as well today... well of course I get it on ...and I'm having the same problem. I cannot get any pressure in the clutch... The reservoir will not go down at all so im assuming there is no pressure. I just don't know where to go from here because it is a very simple system... master, slave, and lines. I dont see how the lines would randomly go bad... i finally finished my bike after 3 years off the road and i cant even test drive it...someone please help ahhhhhhhhh. Also I do the have the slave cylinder against the push rod..its just hanging from a hanger...i didn't think that would matter and I didn't want to put everything back on again. I put the other one back on with the sprocket cover and push rod and still didn't have pressure the first time
***Correction****
I DO NOT have the slave cylinder against the push rod.. its just free hanging. But like I said, when I got it back together with the original it was hooked up against the push rod and still wasn't building pressure

You will need to use a mityvac vacuum pump to suck the fluid thru the hose from the slave cyl bleed nipple.
Simple stuff..... do you really think you should be messing with your bike after messing it up like ya did?
Just sayin’ . . . . . :confused:

You will need to use a mityvac vacuum pump to suck the fluid thru the hose from the slave cyl bleed nipple.
Simple stuff..... do you really think you should be messing with your bike after messing it up like ya did?
Just sayin’ . . . . . :confused:
I ended up reverse bleeding it with a syringe. It took a long time to get the air out without a mityvac. But i did eventually manage to bleed it out. And yes I do think I should be messing with my bike. I made a simple mistake. It happens. Im not incompetent nor am I incapable of bleeding a line. It is very simple stuff and all of this happened from the clutch lever being pulled without the pressure plate tightened on. I have replaced damn near everything on this bike including the motor and I've done it all myself

I appreciate all of the youtube searches. But I wouldn't of posted on here if I wasn't having an issue with it. Both the master and slave cylinders needed to be replaced. And then once I replaced them there was an air pocket that was almost impossible to get out. I finally managed to get it out after reverse bleeding it for an hour.

@Ice3460
When you say reverse bleed...
you put a hose on the nipple at the slave cylinder to a supply of brake fluid, then pulled it all up into the reservoir using a syringe?
Just curious about the technique, as I will be tackling this job next week when the weather cools.

@Ice3460
When you say reverse bleed...
you put a hose on the nipple at the slave cylinder to a supply of brake fluid, then pulled it all up into the reservoir using a syringe?
Just curious, as I will be tackling this job next week when the weather cools.
So I attached a tube to the end of a syringe, and the other end to the nipple on the slave cylinder. I used a zip tie to keep them locked on. Take the top off of the master cylinder. Then crack the nipple just enough so that you can push the fluid through. Grab another syringe or whatever and remove the fluid from the master as it gets full. If you run out of fluid in your syringe, close the nipple first...take the syringe plunger out of the syringe, fill it back up. Put the plunger back in and squeeze it a bunch of times so the air in the tube makes its way out. You wont be able to push it anywhere because the nipple is closed so just push it a little bit to work that air out.
Just keep pushing fluid through until no more air comes out of the top of the MC. Once its done, tighter the nipple, remove the syringe from the tube and bleed normally. It should tighten up within 2 or 3 times of opening the nipple

So I attached a tube to the end of a syringe, and the other end to the nipple on the slave cylinder. I used a zip tie to keep them locked on. Take the top off of the master cylinder. Then crack the nipple just enough so that you can push the fluid through. Grab another syringe or whatever and remove the fluid from the master as it gets full. If you run out of fluid in your syringe, close the nipple first...take the syringe plunger out of the syringe, fill it back up. Put the plunger back in and squeeze it a bunch of times so the air in the tube makes its way out. You wont be able to push it anywhere because the nipple is closed so just push it a little bit to work that air out.
Just keep pushing fluid through until no more air comes out of the top of the MC. Once its done, tighter the nipple, remove the syringe from the tube and bleed normally. It should tighten up within 2 or 3 times of opening the nipple
Got it. You pushed the fluid through using the syringe at the slave. Glad that worked for you but after following your adventures I'm gonna buy a MityVac. Thanks!

also, some guys don't like to do this, but it worked wonders on the brake line when I upgraded and had to bleed those. After you bleed your clutch or brake lines out and you get the the best that you can...take a zip tie or something you can tie like a piece of cloth... squeeze your clutch/brake lever completely and tie it in that position. Leave it over night, and the next day, all of the air left in your line should be out and it will feel tighter than ever

Here's a guess.Something is wrong in the clutch pack. All this fuss to bleed a hydraulic system...I dunno man. Sounds like you know what you are doing there.It shouldn't be this hard. 40+ years,I dunno how many clutch and brake jobs and I've never had issue like you are having. Even with a scored cylinder or piston (from your sanding) you would still build enough pressure for the clutch to work a few times,it just wouldn't stay. You've changed out everything,done the lever squeeze trick etc,it shouldn't be this hard. My guess is something else is the culprit.Also,if that clutch slave was so badly scored you felt the need to "sand it" throw it in the garbage.
I would start from scratch. Every time I've done a clutch or brakes I've gotten pressure withing 2 minutes.
What else could it be? Bleeding a system is not rocket science.MityVacs (yes I have one) and 10 dollar one-way valves are awesome...but hydraulic systems were sucessfully bled long before the invention of those things.
Just a guess...clutch pack itself.
Rubb.

Here's a guess.Something is wrong in the clutch pack. All this fuss to bleed a hydraulic system...I dunno man. Sounds like you know what you are doing there.It shouldn't be this hard. 40+ years,I dunno how many clutch and brake jobs and I've never had issue like you are having. Even with a scored cylinder or piston (from your sanding) you would still build enough pressure for the clutch to work a few times,it just wouldn't stay. You've changed out everything,done the lever squeeze trick etc,it shouldn't be this hard. My guess is something else is the culprit.Also,if that clutch slave was so badly scored you felt the need to "sand it" throw it in the garbage.
I would start from scratch. Every time I've done a clutch or brakes I've gotten pressure withing 2 minutes.
What else could it be? Bleeding a system is not rocket science.MityVacs (yes I have one) and 10 dollar one-way valves are awesome...but hydraulic systems were sucessfully bled long before the invention of those things.
Just a guess...clutch pack itself.
Rubb.
I did Rubb. Everything was bad. The master wouldn't build pressure and the slave wouldn't hold pressure. I have done 1000 brake jobs and replaced my clutch/ fluid 100 times. I never had an issue like this. After I replaced them I had hooked up a separate hydraulic line and it immediately built pressure.. i hooked the stock line back up and it took me over an hour without a mityvac. It was so frustrating and making me second guess what was going on. I eventually worked the bubbles out

I just don't get why Suzuki has been so stuck on hydraulic clutches??

They've used them since the early '80s where other companies have been content with the simpler and lighter cable systems with no problems.

Back