2002 clutch problems

Ken02busa

Donating Member
Registered
On my 02 last summer, I noticed that the clutch travel was right at the end of the lever, and the level was down. I tried to tear down the fender today to put in an undertail, and noticed there is no clutch at all. I opened the master cylinder, empty. I added, tried to pressure up and bleed, but it would not build any pressure. I took all the left plastic off, moved the antifreeze res, and took out the 2 bolts holding the slave cylinder to the block. I could not remove it, could feel the rod pushing, but no pressure on the handle, and definately no clutch, put in gear hold lever, nothing. Is this a common thing, do I have a cracked housing or something? I felt the back of the slave, definately oily and dirty, could not get oil to leak, but its leaving somewhere. I looked for a search button in here, no luck.
I also looked online for a bulletin or recall, but no luck there either.
I know I have time to wait, 2-3 months anyway, but this is the kind of thing that bugs the crap out of me, like a sliver under a fingernail. If I could get the slave cylinder out, I could maybe see if it needs a rebuild or something, but I am scared of buggering something up.

found it, I think

99hayabusa
New Recruit

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:0.21

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay guys here is the problem. What happens is the seal goes bad in the clutch slave cylinder, and it slowly starts to leak out. Now where does it go. I was asking myself that question. I figured out that when it leaks out it gets soaked by all the dirt and other stuff under that cover and it also leaks onto the exhaust, which causes it to burn, which in turn it disappears and nobody knows where it goes. This fix was fairly simple. Go to your suzuki dealer and ask about the seal around the piston inside the slave cylinder for the clutch. The technicians should know about it. Ive heard it is a common problem for the busa. You have to remove the shifter, coolant tank, the left side fairing of course, and a sensor uckon the cover, and the cover. You'll see what im talking about once you get in there. Good luck. Oh yea the seal was like $3.00 or somehwere aroung there

hey Ken, b4 panicking too much,try bleeding with a vac or something.
If you let the level fall too much you might just have a truck load of air in there. Hopefully. The slaves do fail thou.

hit us up anytime. RSD.

When your clutch started to go, what was the clutch fluid level at. Did you have any in the sight guage?

I think it was a fine one day gone the next deal, I added in the fall rode another month or so. It has been sitting in my office, in my basement for the winter. I went to move it and noticed it bottomed out.

And, thanks, its nice to be welcomed.

I work for a company that is in Richmond, TCI, which is a distributor of Bike, Sled, Quad parts, accessories and clothing, have you heard of us? The Main branch is in Edmonton.

Yes
It is a big place, we have 1500 dealers, coast to coast. Very cool new stuff coming online too.

Welcome to the board....I would bleed the system first and check for leaks before you start changing parts
wink.gif

thanks, will do. Would you know how to pull out the slave? I took off the 2 allen bolts, but it is really in there. I am thinking it is a seal that is gone, you can hear it squirting, but nothing leaking.

My 02 was leaking fluid but the clutch still worked fine.
I replaced the Slave cylider seal and solved the problem.

thanks, will do. Would you know how to pull out the slave? I took off the 2 allen bolts, but it is really in there. I
just pull straight back,if you try to pry it off,you might bend the rod that lives beneath it(the cltch accuation rod), its probably just stuck a little. Maybe a few light taps with yer rubber mallot.

Welcome to the board....I would bleed the system first and check for leaks before you start changing parts
wink.gif
I had a seal go bad on the cover where you put the fluid in (on a different bike). It would leak just enough to drip once in a while where you wouldn't see it. After a while my piston was sucking air. I finally caught it by running my finger around the top. New gasket and it was fine.

Just thought I'd mention before you tear everything apart.

The only thing i gotta say is get one of those handy dandy MityVac vacuum pump for brakes and clutches. I had the symptoms as this before and after i had purchased a new slave $90 and about three galloons of fluid and tried to bleed the old fashioned way for 3 days ( No lie) and all it took was a smartazz buddy and his $20 Mityvac to prove me wrong.....Least to say I own 2 of them now just in case

thanks guys, YOU F***ING ROCK!!!!

I knew I would like this website, I can see now I am going to be spending a lot of time (and money) here.

Back