Urgent clutch problem

1Falcon989

Registered
I've been having an issue with my busas clutch since the day I bought it used last year.... It slips. Sometimes under light load some times under heavy load. I replaced the clutch last year with an ebc SRK kit. However since then I installed all new factory suzuki steels and fibers along with a welded clutch mod and APE 60# clutch springs. Original master and slave cylinder. When I had the front sprocket cover off I noticed scoring on the inner surface of the slave cylinder. From there I cleaned and emery clothed the inside to ensure a smooth finish and that there would be no binding. When this happens I have noticed that there is little to no free play in the clutch lever before the clutch starts to disengage. However, when the bike is first started and ridden for a while the clutch is fine and there is about 5mm of free play in the clutch lever before it starts to disengage. Has anybody else encountered a similar concern and if so, what was the permanent fix?

Are you running a slave support with the heavy springs? If not your cover may be flexing.

Running royal purple synthetic. Im thinking about trying either rotella t. I'm running lee's slave support. I've also inspected for leaks in which there are NONE. It's more so that the clutch is getting stuck slightly disengaged.

i am shootin' for the easy stuff ,so have you check your push rod and cleaned it up?

I was having the same prob, i took my lever off and wd40'd up the lil rod where it connects on the lever. It was sticking bad and messing my clutch up. Just a thought. I was very pleased with the results.

I have already cleaned everything. Also if I let the bike sit for an hour or so and cool the clutch works fine. Stack height is factory 2.0". I'm beginning to think I may need a slave cylinder. Last year I found that after bleeding the clutch it was operating normally for a while then slipped until I re-bled the system..

I had the same problem, i bought adjustable levers that helped alot, but didnt really fix the problem,after a new slave cyclinder its fine..i started getting gray fluid in the master cyclinder because the slave cyclinder was dirty inside due to the chain oil ..which made the slave cyclinder to leak...check the slave cyclinder to see if your getting any fliud bypass

I bought a 1999 gen 1 Hayabusa last December it has about 35K miles on the clock I have never had any problems to date was riding it on Friday and approaching a junction I changed down and as I selected 1st gear and engaged the clutch , there was a mechanical knocking noise and the clutch would not drive the bike forward. it will not transmit power now. I am not sure if it is the clutch or the gear but it feels like the clutch because without the engine running, I can engage the gear and the bike will not move suggesting that the clutch is somehow broken. My problem is that clutches usually slip or squeal. This is the first time I have encountered a clunking noise in a clutch. Anyone any ideas?

Welcome and sorry to hear of your woes....

The thread you are posting in is from 2911 so don't expect responses from the people in it....

Early gen 1s would sometimes get cracks on the housing which holds the clutch pushrod actuator (on the sprocket side) and you can tell by pulling in the clutch and seeing if that actuator moves...

If this is good to go, I'd be taking off the clutch cover and looking in there.....(actually Id be looking in there regardless).

Back