2002 Hayabusa Clutch Problem

Busa Sam

Registered
Hello

So about the bike...
It's a 2002 limited edition with 295 miles, yes 295.
Long story shory, it has sat for 13 years without being cranked or anything.

The clutch plates are being pushed out, but they are not separating so when I'm pulling the clutch lever in and kick it in 1st gear...it lunges and stalls.

I have installed a new clutch kit...rebuilt the slave cylinder...measured the plates fibers and whole stack 3 times...purchased a mityvac to make sure all the air was out of the line and I just can't figure it out.
The plates are not stuck together, I just removed them 2 days ago multiple times to check everything...the basket is not notched, it's basically still new.

I do have the flat washer and wave washer installed correctly, haven't tried removing them to see if it works though.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Yes the kickstand was up when I first tried....and on the rear stand it will just start turning the rear tire when I put it in 1st gear with clutch lever pulled.

It just doesn't seem to be pushing the plates far enough to separate them, even though they seem to be pushed out a good amount.

Thanks

You have checked everything that I would suggest. Sure sounds like you clutch plates are sticking or not installed correctly, but you have triple checked that so I don't know.

Just don't think that because someone hasn't responded super quick you want get an answer. Good luck bro, and welcome to the org.

The stack height is correct and they are installed correctly also.
The pressure plate isn't being pushed out far enough to separate the plates and I don't know why.
Thanks for your reply

Had an issue that sounds like what you are having. Fought the problem of the clutch not releasing for over two weeks before I found that the fluid level in the master had to be topped up to completely full before it would provied enough travel to release the clutch. Not sure why, but after topping up and rebleeding the problem went away.

Yes I've bled it and it has fresh fluid.
Tried manually and used a mityvac.
I don't know what's wrong with it.

Going backwards from the clutch. Clutch release push rod may be worn or bent. Clutch release slave cylinder may require replacement/rebuilding, Have you ever replaced your clutch line? Might be soft and expand when you apply clutch. Lastly, check your clutch master cylinder push rod. It might be worn where the lever contacts it and require replacement. One other thing is your Master cylinder piston may require rebuilding, kits are available for that.

I didn't think about the line itself, I'll definitely check that out this weekend.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Had my own clutch problem this weekend. When let out in neutral and when decelerating with the clutch pulledin, I was getting a whirr, chatter sound. none when engaged. Pulled the cover and every one of the clutch spring posts was loose. I know there was a recall on 08s for a similar problem. Mine is an 09 though. Took the opportunity to pull the whole clutch pack and inspect everything and all else was good. Put the posts back in with locktite and torqued them a bit tighter than spec. Same with the clutch sprung bolts. I didn't go any deeper than the clutch pack because I don't have a holding tool. Put her back together and the noise disappeared. Will be picking up that holding tool next week. Next oil change I'll pull the whole thing and replace the throw out bearing.

After spending some time with my clutch today I have a couple other things for you to check. Do you have a service manual? It's important that everything is put back in the exact order and orientation. There are different thicknesses of fibers and steels and they all have to be in the right place. Check your throw out bearing and the washer for wear. If these pieces are worn out your clutch won't release fully. Usually, if they are bad you will hear it when you disengage the clutch.

I have the cover off so I can see the clutch pack being pushed out...just not enough for them to separate.
Thanks for the reply

Back